lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2019, 04:34 PM   #1
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Default Issue with new batteries

I installed new batteries in my 2010 Club Car Precedent today as well as replaced all the cables with new 2 gauge cables. cart kicked on right away. At the recommendation of the shop that sold me the batteries I put the charger on to top them off but before doing so I I took voltage readings of all the batteries. Individually they all read 8.4 or 8.5. Together as a pack they all read 50.5 volts. I plugged the charger in a heard it click but didn't kick on, no humming noise. I haven't used this cart in over a year so I suspected there may be an issue with the charger so I unplugged it from the cart as well as the wall. Reconnected it to the wall outlet then plugged it in and it clicked again and this time kicked on, started humming so sounded like it was charging. Thinking all is well I go back inside. 10-15 minutes later UPS shows up with my turn signal kit so I go back out to the garage to plug in the turn signal switch to make sure it works. This is where things go south. Walk in the garage and smell a rotten egg smell also I can hear was sounds like boiling water coming from the batteries. Not wanting to ruin the batteries I immediately unplugged the charger. Any idea what is going on here. I've heard in the past that boiling of the batteries is a sign of overcharging the batteries. I never had this issue with the old batteries. In the past I plug it in it charges until they're recharged and the charger cuts off. Any ideas?
beachcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-05-2019, 04:44 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Issue with new batteries

I don't know why the charger did not kick on the first time, but what you are experiencing is normal for new batteries.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:49 PM   #3
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
I don't know why the charger did not kick on the first time, but what you are experiencing is normal for new batteries.
So should I go plug it back in or maybe ride it a bit then plug it in?
Old 04-05-2019, 04:52 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I would plug it in and let it go through a full cycle (shuts off) then drive it.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:54 PM   #5
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
I would plug it in and let it go through a full cycle (shuts off) then drive it.
Thanks Mooncarter. BTW, i bought the Precisions from Pasco like you recommended.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:28 PM   #6
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

You might want to be sure you have the red wire from charge port hooked to the number one battery positive post that goes to solenoid. Also you changed to two ga cables. What did you do about the obc. Did you run cable through hole in obc to controller or go around it. Did you enlarge the hole. All these things could be a problem.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 05:46 PM   #7
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
You might want to be sure you have the red wire from charge port hooked to the number one battery positive post that goes to solenoid. Also you changed to two ga cables. What did you do about the obc. Did you run cable through hole in obc to controller or go around it. Did you enlarge the hole. All these things could be a problem.
I reconnected everything just as it was connected prior to upgrading the cables. Not sure what you mean by "what did you do about the obc". Not sure what the OBC is? If it's on board charger I don't have one, I use the club car charger that came with the cart. The original negative cable ran thru a hole in the controller cover and went to the controller. There were 2 other wires crimped into this cable and connected to the controller. I cut those 2 additional wires and connected them into a ring terminal and connected them to the controller as well as the new 2 gauge negative cable. My new cable was long enough to go down and under the cover as opposed to going thru it like the original cable was. The cables came pre-crimped so I would have had to drill the hole out quite a bit to thru the cover. Don't know what part the original positive cable was connected to but it too had 1 additional red wire crimped into it. I cut that wire and put a ring terminal on it and connected both of those wire back to whatever that part is it was originally connected to. At the battery number 1 I connected the new 2 gauge positive cable as well as 1 other red wire to the positive terminal then wired the rest of the cables to the batteries in series.

Now a couple questions

1. What are the 2 other black wires that connected to the controller with the negative battery?

2. What is that part that the red positive cable coming from the battery connects to?

3. What is the other red wire that was connected to the original positive battery cable?
Old 04-05-2019, 06:26 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcarter View Post
Thanks Mooncarter. BTW, i bought the Precisions from Pasco like you recommended.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Do you have a photo of what you are calling the "controller cover?" I hope that is not the OBC, "On Board Computer."
Old 04-05-2019, 06:40 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Mrgolf has raised some good points. If you ran the cable around the OBC and perhaps changed or missed something, your charger may not shut off. Unhook it until this is sorted out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car