lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2019, 11:29 AM   #1
binsteve7
Not Yet Wild

Default bypass obc

hi, my 1997 ds club car stopped charging (charger not running at all). The charger is fine as my buddy in the next cart shed has same charger so I eliminated that problem. I read how to bypass the obc so I did that by splicing10g wire on grey wire coming from receptacle to bat.neg.post. Charger turns on now but reads 0 amps. I have checked continuity on both fuses coming from receptacle including large plastic covered fuse built into the receptacle. batteries are only 2 years old. I'm getting a reading of 7.5v from each battery and a total voltage of 45.5 across all. if anyone could help me troubleshoot I would appreciate that. I just would like to be sure it is OBC that needs replacing before I order one. Thanks, Steve
binsteve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2019, 07:11 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: bypass obc

You should also jump the Black wire from the charge receptacle to the Battery main negative.
Jumping the Grey wire turns on the relay in the charger, but if the black is still going to the OBC, it will still not charge.
Run the Black to the Battery pack negative and the charger should run wide open as soon as its plugged in. It will not have any way to limit charge current, and it will not shut off on its own, so it's only a very temporary solution.
I would upgrade to a smart charger before replacing the OBC.

As your pack sits right now at 45.5V it is basically Dead. That's low enough that it Will cause damage to the pack. Jump the black wire from the charge receptacle to battery pack negative, hook the charger up and get that pack charging. Monitor the charge voltage with a multimeter and let it run until the pack gets to about 57-58v then unplug the charger. That will only be a bulk charge, but it will bring the voltage up enough to minimize plate sulfation and hopefully avoid irreversible damage to the pack.
Check your water levels and make sure all of the plates are at least covered before you charge.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:56 PM   #3
binsteve7
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: bypass obc

Thank you fairtaxtome. I did just that. Cart started charging. Left charger on for 45 min. Batteries charged to 48.9v. I took it for a spin and played a few holes and it died completely after 1 hour. Low and behold I brought it back to my cart shed and plugged charger in and it started charging normally again. I waited half hour and still charging. I will check on it tomorrow and see what voltage it cut out at. Hoping for the best but a tad confused. Lol. Thanks again!!
binsteve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car