lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
Jsmth86
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default On board charger

I am looking into adding a Lester Summit on-board charger but have received conflicting information regarding the on-board computer. If I install the charger to the battery pack using the ring terminals and DONT utilize the charging port on the golf cart do I still need to bypass the OBC? I realize that bypassing the OBC is not a huge deal but just trying to weigh my options.

Appreciate any advice and feedback.
Jsmth86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: On board charger

By-passing the OBC is the best option to avoid future issues.

The OBC will lockout the cart if parked for more than 3 days and the PowerDrive charger is not plugged in, not a big deal, but a nuisance when you try to drive and have to wait for the OBC to power-up.

You would need to connected the Summit negative wire to Controller B- or the OBC will lockout since it would not see the charging current if going direct to the battery.

All You need to do is unplug the OBC 6-pin connector, cut the Blue wire and splice the side of the wire going to the Controller to the "lockout" wire from the Summit II.

That will give controller lockout as well when the Sumitt II is plugged into AC.

Some folks also take the opportunity to replace the DC receptacle with an AC male plug that You can plug an extension cord.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
Jsmth86
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Great info- if I spliced the blue wire to the summit charger would I still need to connect the negative wire from the charger to the controller or can I connect it to the end of the battery pack?
Old 07-23-2019, 12:54 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmth86 View Post
Great info- if I spliced the blue wire to the summit charger would I still need to connect the negative wire from the charger to the controller or can I connect it to the end of the battery pack?
At that point the charger negative output can be connected directly to pack negative if you want.

Which model Summitt are you looking at?
Old 07-23-2019, 01:31 PM   #5
Jsmth86
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Lester summit 2
Old 07-23-2019, 01:52 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

They make two models, the Summit II 650w will work directly with the OEM Curtis Controller, the Summit II 1050w model would require an additional 10k resistor.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:06 PM   #7
Jsmth86
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I was planning on purchasing the 650 charger but I do have an alltrax xct 500 amp controller.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:13 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The Altrax XCT 500 (that is the same Controller I have) lockout interface will work with either charger model without any additional parts.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:33 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The black wire from the OBC should already run to the B- on the controller. Cut the wire between the OBC and the controller, and crimp your negative charge lead to that wire with a large yellow butt connector. That's less wire to run and will avoid potential problem with corrosion at the battery terminal connection.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:23 PM   #10
Jsmth86
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
By-passing the OBC is the best option to avoid future issues.

The OBC will lockout the cart if parked for more than 3 days and the PowerDrive charger is not plugged in, not a big deal, but a nuisance when you try to drive and have to wait for the OBC to power-up.

You would need to connected the Summit negative wire to Controller B- or the OBC will lockout since it would not see the charging current if going direct to the battery.

All You need to do is unplug the OBC 6-pin connector, cut the Blue wire and splice the side of the wire going to the Controller to the "lockout" wire from the Summit II.

That will give controller lockout as well when the Sumitt II is plugged into AC.

Some folks also take the opportunity to replace the DC receptacle with an AC male plug that You can plug an extension cord.
Sergio- I want to ensure that I am clear before I start this process. To accomplish this task I only need to unplug the 6 pin connector and cut the blue wire on the obc end of the harness and connect this to the charger lockout wire. Then I can connect the charger positive and negative to the respective terminals on the battery pack?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car