lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2019, 06:18 PM   #1
SlimChance
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1991 Club Car DS Resistor Cart Reverse only, no Forward

We use a 1991 DS Resistor 36volt at the farm as it has been dependable as clockwork for a long time until last week. It will now go in reverse, but when shifted to forward I get a chattering of clicking from the V-glide and no forward movement. I have already checked the batteries and they are good, new solenoid and new f/r switch. No change. Is the rapid clicking from the V-glide caused by the microswitch? I am having trouble understanding why reverse is operating, but forward- nothing? Hopefully someone here has encountered a similar problem and solved it.
SlimChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2019, 06:23 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1991 Club Car DS Resistor Cart Reverse only, no Forward

I'm not sure but here is some interesting info. Stock the 36v resistor coil CC used all 6 batteries in forward and only 3 in reverse. Be sure all the batteries are staying UP when you try to go. UP means no less than 1volt drop in value.
Put a meter on each battery and try to go..... if one falls on it's face then - problem found.
The F&R switch can easily be checked by swapping the 2 cables on the center pivot mechanism. ( 10mm nuts) if you swap these and the problem changes direction replace the switch with a HD unit.

I hope this helps some
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #3
SlimChance
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Appreciate the suggestions and will give those a shot this evening. I figured someone out here had some experience on these old resistor carts.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #4
SlimChance
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Scottyb, you nailed it. Turns out 1 bad cell on 2 of the batteries causing the issue. Sure appreciate the wisdom!
Old 11-06-2019, 10:32 AM   #5
Rlemon
Not Yet Wild

I’m sorry for the ignorance, but I don’t understand the solution.. would anyone care to explain further?
Slim you initially said the batteries were good, but you found bad cells? What does that mean exactly?
Do they have to be replaced?
Rlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:25 AM   #6
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Yes, they should be replaced. A battery with a bad cell will hold good voltages while the cart is at rest. Once the cart is put under load, ie. being driven, the bad cell will quickly drop out and the voltage will drop radically.

You can change just the one bad battery but most will agree that it's best to change the entire pack. It's charging related. If you have one new battery and 5 old ones then invariably the new battery will be constantly over-charging as it doesn't need as long to charge as the older ones.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 03:31 PM   #7
SlimChance
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

When I stated that the batteries tested good, I used a voltmeter rather than checking each cell with a hydrometer like I should have done. That is how I found the 2 bad cells. Replaced the batteries and all is good. Appreciate the help from ScottyB on this fix.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:17 PM   #8
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlemon View Post
I’m sorry for the ignorance, but I don’t understand the solution.. would anyone care to explain further?
Slim you initially said the batteries were good, but you found bad cells? What does that mean exactly?
Do they have to be replaced?
Those carts have two feeds 18 volt for reverse 36 forward so the battery that was bad was on the battery after the 18 volt tap.There are three they split it in the middle of pack.
Roxyflash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club car ds 36 volt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car