lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2020, 12:35 PM   #1
Spoolx
Gone Wild

Default Dragging wheel when only the rim is bolted on?

So I’ve been rebuilding my 2004 club car ds and noticed the driver side wheel almost locks up when trying to spin. If I undo the lugnuts it turns just fine but as soon as I tighten one down it starts dragging again.

Anyone experience something similar? FWIW I have undone the brake cable to make sure it’s not a cable thing.
Spoolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2020, 12:42 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Dragging wheel when only the rim is bolted on?

I would look at the backing plate and drum to see if they are hitting. If not one of the springs that holds the brake shoes might have broken and it is letting the shoe twist.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:57 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Is the wheel on backwards?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 04:14 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Is the drum on all the way? If the drum is crooked that can happen.
Did you adjust the brakes? Sometimes if they're a little too tight the drum will only spin a half turn or so. A smack with a hammer sometimes gets them to reposition, but usually means they need to be loosened up a half turn or so.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 04:47 PM   #5
Spoolx
Gone Wild

I’ve switched wheels and drums from side to side and it seems to only happen on the drivers side. Nothing appears broken and I’ve lubricated it all. I see no witness marks on any of the parts but it definitely seems like it’s starting to apply the brakes once I tighten the lug nuts... even when I backed the star screw out a bunch of turns
Old 07-11-2020, 09:28 PM   #6
NismoGriff
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I had this same issue. Lugnuts lose and wheels would spin, thighten them up and they would lock up. After tinkering around with them, I noticed that the adjuster mechanism did not slide back and forth on the backing plate like it should. I took the adjusters completely out and apart, thoroughly cleaned all the parts individually, greased them all and reassembled them. I also cleaned the shoes, I used a drywall sanding sponge and cleaned the drums out as well. Once I reassembled (make sure to grease all the contact points of the shoes) I loosened the adjuster (where both cables pull) slightly because it seemed as if the cables weren't able to return fully. It was at this point that I started working the self adjusters. testing the pedal feel and making more adjustments. I got to a point where it felt good and the wheels spun freely with a very slight drag on the driver side, but I wouldn't know until my cart was reassembled and running. Once I had it running, the brakes felt pretty good and after a few trips, the shoes seemed to center themselves a little better and I don't notice any drag. The cart comes to a halt from 24 mph pretty quickly.
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:40 AM   #7
Spoolx
Gone Wild

I think you’re on to something. I took the whole assembly apart and none of the levers or springs really move freely. Looks like someone replaced all the guts on the passenger side and left the stock stuff on the drivers side.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:42 PM   #8
NismoGriff
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolx View Post
I think you’re on to something. I took the whole assembly apart and none of the levers or springs really move freely. Looks like someone replaced all the guts on the passenger side and left the stock stuff on the drivers side.

Whatever it is, be sure to report back here as to what fixes it, that way when people search in the future, they might find the answer they are looking for.
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:15 AM   #9
S-N-R Customs
Gone Wild

Default Dragging wheel when only the rim is bolted on?

I had that problem when I first started with my giant pile of parts and no manual....... I had a brake shoe on upside down.... take a look at the cut outs on the brake shoes... the “45 degree “ angles should be in the bottom. When that 45 degree side is in the adjuster, it makes the shoe stick towards the drum by about 1/16”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S-N-R Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car