lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2019, 04:35 PM   #1
Mcheil83
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery meter??

Hello everyone I have a 2014 Club Car Precedent. I fully charged the battery’s, has the right amount of distilled water in the batteries. I have (6) 8V batteries. I installed a battery gauge an it only dropped 1 bar so I kept driving it in my backyard to see if the meter go down. I was driving it today an my battery light came on to charge the cart. I tested each battery with the meter an they all ranged from 7.78 to 7.85, so which gauge do you think could be wrong, the factory gauge or the one I installed??

5E2D4B5E-9E3F-4B46-90BC-862FBA40EA27.jpg

7DB83EBC-7A62-4866-9CA9-71F1EA03D64A.jpg

11C7927B-1C43-4955-94D2-BEFD424D19EA.jpg
Mcheil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2019, 04:39 PM   #2
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: Battery meter??

those LED bar meters are garbage! They either refuse to go back to full from flashing E, or the batteries are pretty critically low by the time they reach half. It's usually a great way to EOL a controller to let one go past half on a bar graph meter.

They're cool looking but you'd be better off relying on that idiot light instead. We don't recommend the LED Bar meters anymore, we got ones with that (and color coded bars that define anything below half as dead--red! middle is green and high is blue) and a voltage readout in one.

We unplug the battery warning light these days--folks don't know what it means, and it tends to come on for no reason 90% the time. When i worked at a junkyard years ago, we pulled the check engine light because folks thought the car would self-destruct with it on, but in truth a car can drive perfectly fine with the check engine light on.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:48 PM   #3
Mcheil83
Not Yet Wild

Could my led battery meter be fine and the factory gauge be junk just because my meter is reading when I checked the battery’s themselves,am I reading the meter right for the battery’s? I’ll post a pic of the reading. also is their a part number or make of the battery gauge you have thank you for all your help. Matt

image.jpg
Old 12-08-2019, 05:23 PM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

The LED meter is wrong. You will be better off if you unhook it. Charge you batteries after each use or at least at the end of the day. If you want a battery meter get a dash volt meter. You ran your batteries down WAY to low.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:02 PM   #5
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcheil83 View Post
Could my led battery meter be fine and the factory gauge be junk just because my meter is reading when I checked the battery’s themselves,am I reading the meter right for the battery’s? I’ll post a pic of the reading. also is their a part number or make of the battery gauge you have thank you for all your help. Matt

Attachment 195333
Honestly do as the others have commented! Bar Graph Meters are absolutely worthless on any application other than on campers and even then they are questionable at best. Install a digital voltage meter in dash and learn to understand the voltage readout like a fuel tank. Any 8 volt battery that is reading below 8 volts is considered dead and is being damaged...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOC%20new.jpg (84.9 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SOC Placard.pdf (51.2 KB, 0 views)
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:11 PM   #6
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

We sell new ones with both a bar graph (color coded too) and voltage readout. They turn off and on with key switch, too. Great way to 'learn' how the different voltages relate. The color coding is pretty dead on as well. No more customers afraid of anything that's not 'F---E' or not sure how voltage relates to battery SoC.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:58 PM   #7
Mcheil83
Not Yet Wild

Hey nickdalzell1 where do you sell them at? How much?
Old 12-08-2019, 10:14 PM   #8
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

We get them from one of our parts books, I don't remember which. Price is roughly the same as the bar graph but these have voltage reading and bars with color codes. Much nicer

Very nice for folks who don't know how to tell remaining power (or judge bar graph meter accuracy) by voltage alone.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:36 AM   #9
Mcheil83
Not Yet Wild

Thank you everyone for the input, I wound up installing the volt meter nickdalzell1 and it’s PERFECT. Works extremely well thank you.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:17 AM   #10
Smokey613
Not Yet Wild

Where did you purchase this volt meter?
Smokey613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car