lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2021, 12:25 PM   #1
wiiiser1
Not Yet Wild

Default Brake Lights on While Parking Brake is Set

I have been trying to convert my 2009 Gas RXV to being street legal, I put the OEM factory harness on back in 2012 part number was 612014 which has been replaced I see with a new version 614679. The only difference is the new version comes with a brake light timer control wired in. Everything went real smooth adding the turn signal kit. And by the way I purchased back in 2012 the EZGO factory lights (incandescence) which were just plug and play on that harness. At the time EZGO was making and selling a brake pad that just replaced the brake pad on the cart , but since have discontinued, So I purchased a 609260 Brake switch which hooks up and connects to the factory harness real nice. The problem I ran into is because I have the old accessory harness which doesn't come with the brake light timer all ready wired in my brake lights stay on when the Parking brake is set. I purchased a 30 second timer which has been talked about in other threads similar to the Stenten one. it has three male terminals # 1 is the control wire to brake lights, #2 is the positive (or coming off the brake switch itself) and #3 is the ground. With a test meter there is always 12 volts coming into the brake switch, When the Brake pedal is released it shuts the 12 volts off on the exit wire from the brake switch, So I wired the timer coming off the brake switch I used the 12 volt +( terminal #2 on timer control) then terminal #1( the control wire to brake lights) to the other piece of the wire, So that my 12 volts has to flow thru the timer control to complete the circuit . and grounded the #3 wire(of timer control). Well the only thing that happened which my brake lights worked. Was that the relay under the cup holder just buzzed. I didn't leave the timer control hooked up for 30 seconds to see if it worked because I knew it wasn't correct. So that is where I am at. I was curious if anyone could give me some help with getting this timer control hooked up so I can put my cart back together. Thank You in advance. I have attached the brake switch and the timer I am using
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EZGO Brake Light Switch.jpg (235.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg EZGO Brake Timer control.jpg (248.1 KB, 0 views)
wiiiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2021, 12:47 PM   #2
wiiiser1
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Brake Lights on While Parking Brake is Set

I also wanted to make mention that Where I tried to tap into the brake switch was the shorter harness that actually plugs into the factory harness. If that makes sense?
Old 08-30-2021, 07:14 PM   #3
wiiiser1
Not Yet Wild

So I played around a little bit. The timer is on the back side of the switch wiring . The side that the 12 volt is controlled by the switch. SO When the brake pedal is pushed, it feeds 12 volts to the timer control #2 on the timer control , then #1 is connected to the same wire back into the harness. I think my issue is the ground wire. I just used the neg battery terminal (just touching it) and the 12 volt relay under the cup holder just buzzes. Could my issue just be a grounding issue? I have read almost all other post and saw where Sergio posted on a thread that the ground needs to be hooked up to the harness ground? running right beside the plug for the brake switch is a White wire that runs by itself in a wire loom coming off the brake switch plug on the OEM harness. I tested it and do not get any 12 volts, just wasn't sure what it was for or used for. Just hoping someone will chime in that is familiar with OEM Factory accessories harness for RXV
Old 08-30-2021, 07:21 PM   #4
wiiiser1
Not Yet Wild

On that picture I have posted of the actual brake switch being used, I'm not to sure why off the switch it has 2 brown wires that go into what looks like a 4 pin weather pack connector or metri pack connector but only the red wires have terminals connected? I removed that small piece of wire loom off the smaller connector that plugs into the factory harness and that's were I connected the #1 and #2 terminals off the timer control. This way the switch removes power from the timer to reset it. Let me also state without the timer the brake lights function perfect except they do not shut off when parking brake is applied. Thus I need the timer.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:37 PM   #5
wiiiser1
Not Yet Wild

It's getting late tonight but I will let anyone and everyone that may have been looking at this or not that I finally got it sorted out. My cart is a 2009 EZGO RXV that I added the old style OEM harness back in 2012 when EZGO still used the pressure pad type brake switch. And I used the new style brake switch as in the first post. But my old style wire harness still used the Bosch style relay and the new version of the accessory harness for all new EZGO gas carts uses a timer control, and cost 380.00 from EZGO. Long story short had to unplug the Bosch relay and the new timer control will plug into some of old female terminals from the old Bosch relay. When I get into making the final connections I want to take pictures and post them on wiring this into the Bosch relay harness as to not hacking up the OEM harness which then will allow the use of the new style RXV brake switch. More to come
Old 09-03-2021, 05:41 PM   #6
wiiiser1
Not Yet Wild

These pictures pertain to 2012 EZGO oem accessories wire harness that still has a Bosch style relay for brake switch and removing this and switching to a timer control so that the brake lights shut off after applying the park brake. The New version of the oem harness no longer has a Bosch relay and only comes with a 20 second timer. These photos and description applies to the OEM Brake switch 609260 or (8122) Chinese version.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:52 PM   #7
wiiiser1
Not Yet Wild

Here are the connections

#1 ( control wire on timer) to grey wire on relay socket
#2 (switched 12 volt on timer) to brown wire on relay socket
#3 (ground) to white wire on relay socket

I used a spade terminal connected to wire off the timer to plug right into the relay socket. and then just covered it with some electrical tape.

Everything works Great and timer shuts off brake lights in 30 seconds and I didn't have to butcher or cut into the OEM harness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OEM New Style Brake switch.jpg (207.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg OEM Brake light relay.jpg (135.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Relay removed From Harness.jpg (91.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Back Of OEM relay.jpg (123.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Timer Control Connection.jpg (122.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-03-2021, 05:53 PM   #8
wiiiser1
Not Yet Wild

and here are the last photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Finished Job .jpg (144.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-05-2021, 11:07 AM   #9
wiiiser1
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Brake Lights on While Parking Brake is Set (FIXED)

Also here is the schematic for the newer style EZGO wire harness. This really came in hand due to the colors match my harness even though mine had the Bosch style relay. I'll have to post some pictures of my cart also
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wire Schematics accessory harness.jpg (53.4 KB, 0 views)

Tags
2009 gas rxv, oem brake switch, oem wire harness
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO