lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2021, 07:34 PM   #1
alexdavid4
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Lightbulb 2022 Onward Performance / Upgrades / Brakes

After years with my Precedent I decided to upgrade and bought today a 22 Onward 4 passenger gas cart. I am looking for advice on a couple things

1 I would like to get 30mph or close out of it, are there any known options for that power increase?

2 I would like to improve the brakes on it, really would love to add front disks just haven't found any off the shelve. I am not apposed to fabrication if anyone has Experience with that
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D3AD6F46-250B-4A80-B83F-3798D3BE700B_1_105_c.jpeg (383.1 KB, 0 views)
alexdavid4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-20-2021, 08:00 PM   #2
FloridaCart
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2022 Onward Performance / Upgrades

Just installed a high speed cable (see link below) a couple weeks ago on new Onward EFI Kohler . It will get you to that speed.
But..... If your planning on doing alot of high speed running around I would recommend high speed gears if your not in a area with alot of hills and such. Gears are around 350-400 (not installed) Good Luck!!!!

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...ith-subaru-efi
FloridaCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 10:54 PM   #3
alexdavid4
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaCart View Post
Just installed a high speed cable (see link below) a couple weeks ago on new Onward EFI Kohler . It will get you to that speed.
But..... If your planning on doing alot of high speed running around I would recommend high speed gears if your not in a area with alot of hills and such. Gears are around 350-400 (not installed) Good Luck!!!!

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...ith-subaru-efi
I assume changing the gears will reduce the torque and hill climb ability, not sure thats going to fix it for me either. Ill try the cable and see how that does. thanks for the help
alexdavid4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:06 PM   #4
JFro
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

i just got the 2022 clubcar onward (gas) as well and asked about the 6:1 gearing and was told it wouldn't fit in the case.
so i'm going with the 8:1 gearing and will add the clutch kit and maybe the high-speed cable.
I'm getting 17mph, from the factory, with zero mods.
JFro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:39 PM   #5
FloridaCart
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFro View Post
i just got the 2022 clubcar onward (gas) as well and asked about the 6:1 gearing and was told it wouldn't fit in the case.
so i'm going with the 8:1 gearing and will add the clutch kit and maybe the high-speed cable.
I'm getting 17mph, from the factory, with zero mods.
JFro Congrats on the new Onward.... I'm assuming you have the lifted model with 23" tall tires ? The cable alone will get you 30 ish . One piece of advice depending where you live and ride ( Hilly terrain plus 4 adults ) you definitely dont want to over gear it. Ask me how I know........Good Luck!!
Old 01-12-2022, 12:18 PM   #6
Vince B333
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Question re: High speed cable.
2020 Onward here and have a tach installed. At full throttle doing 24 mph and 3500 rpm
Kohler motor reportedly red line at 3600 rpm.
Would installation of H.S. Cable increase the RPM even further? If so, wouldn't the limiter kick in?
Vince B333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:01 PM   #7
FloridaCart
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince B333 View Post
Question re: High speed cable.
2020 Onward here and have a tach installed. At full throttle doing 24 mph and 3500 rpm
Kohler motor reportedly red line at 3600 rpm.
Would installation of H.S. Cable increase the RPM even further? If so, wouldn't the limiter kick in?
I'm not exactly sure what the Rev limiter is set at on the Kohler.
The specs show 14hp at 3600 rpm But The limiter could be set a little higher.
If your getting 24mph you must have did a zip tie mod or either adjusted the cables.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:39 PM   #8
Vince B333
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The Onward is factory lifted. Bought cart new that way. Nope, I haven't touched it. However, I do have larger tires and rims on it (again from dealer when purchased) 12" rims, and 255/50-12 tires. Sometimes going downhill I hit 26 mph and note tach reading at or close to 3600 RPM. Then feel engine cut off for a good few seconds while speed decreases a bit. (Limiter being reached?).

BTW, now that warranty is over, getting H.S. gears installed in two weeks. Would really like to see 35 mph out of this cart.

Finally a tip to others. If you want H.S. gears, look up Apache Gears near Phoenix, AZ .. Best price you will ever get.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:18 PM   #9
FloridaCart
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince B333 View Post
The Onward is factory lifted. Bought cart new that way. Nope, I haven't touched it. However, I do have larger tires and rims on it (again from dealer when purchased) 12" rims, and 255/50-12 tires. Sometimes going downhill I hit 26 mph and note tach reading at or close to 3600 RPM. Then feel engine cut off for a good few seconds while speed decreases a bit. (Limiter being reached?).

BTW, now that warranty is over, getting H.S. gears installed in two weeks. Would really like to see 35 mph out of this cart.

Finally a tip to others. If you want H.S. gears, look up Apache Gears near Phoenix, AZ .. Best price you will ever get.
Thanks for the lead on Apache gears........ Please report back after you do the gear swap with details. Good luck !!
Old 01-29-2022, 07:50 PM   #10
Vince B333
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well, got cart back from dealer that put on gears. Put a smile on my face after taking it out for a ride. Can cruise at 34-35 mph, no problem while doing around 3400 rpm. Maybe I'll go under the floor and tighten up that cable a bit and see if I can tweak out another 2-3 mph while keeping it under 3600.

Lost a bit of power at takeoff, but not all that much. Nice to go 25 mph or so while doing under 2800 rpm. Smoother and quieter.

Really happy with the upgrade. Now I wish I could find a front brake kit for this thing. Would make me feel safer driving on the road.

Tags
onward upgrade brakes gas
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car