lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
nujac
Getting Wild

Default Tapered shaft adapter cut shaft pros and cons

Has anyone had any bearing problems not cutting the shaft down and using the spacer. I only cut enough off to allow the clutch to be installed with a spacer. (about .75") I was thinking if I every wanted to install a straight shaft clutch I would not have that option if I cut the shaft off to fit without the spacer.

The center of the belt on the clutch is about 3.5" from the engine case.

Also on taper shafts with keyways I normally install a little Anitseize. However I am thinking without a keyway I should just install it dry with nothing on it to prevent possible slippage. What is the normal way?

91 club car 16 hp duromax
thanks
nujac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Default Re: Tapered shaft adapter cut shaft pros and cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by nujac View Post
Has anyone had any bearing problems not cutting the shaft down and using the spacer. I only cut enough off to allow the clutch to be installed with a spacer. (about .75") I was thinking if I every wanted to install a straight shaft clutch I would not have that option if I cut the shaft off to fit without the spacer.

The center of the belt on the clutch is about 3.5" from the engine case.

Also on taper shafts with keyways I normally install a little Anitseize. However I am thinking without a keyway I should just install it dry with nothing on it to prevent possible slippage. What is the normal way?

91 club car 16 hp duromax
thanks
Not heard of any. I measure the hole in the clutch, the length of the adapter and cut the shaft between the two measurements to ensure the clutch would accept the entire adapter but not bottom out on the shaft.
I wouldn't want all that rotating mass hanging off the crankshaft and I never use anti-sieze.

FC
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:33 AM   #3
nujac
Getting Wild

I wouldn't want all that rotating mass hanging off the crankshaft

So for your taste you think it would be better if I ditched the spacer to get the clutch closer to the motor.

thanks
Old 04-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nujac View Post
I wouldn't want all that rotating mass hanging off the crankshaft

So for your taste you think it would be better if I ditched the spacer to get the clutch closer to the motor.

thanks
If you have the clearance to align the clutches I would definitely get the drive clutch as close to the motor as possible Nujac. You will also have more room to access the air filter by doing this. I use the spacer as a guide for cutting the shaft.

FC
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

From what I read the 1" clutch does not take much shaft to mount, if you ever do change it. I cut mine short as I could 1 1/8 long from the shoulder. It is still out more than factory yamaha was. I put the taper on clean with nothing (and I mean clean I wipe everything off good), if you have an issue with rust/corrosion then put some oil or oil type spray on it and wipe it off so only a very thin film is left. I never had a problem with them slipping doing it that way. The really right way is to lap the taper for the best fit possible but doubt it is needed here, its not like a 10-20hp engine has much power when you can run way over 100hp on that same taper with no problem.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
vzdude
Gone Wild

Tom at CPP told me you will need at least 2" of shaft for the bigger straight shaft clutches. At 2" exactly, I needed a 1/4" spacer to keep mine from rubbing on a bolt hole boss on the engine. So...I'd keep it at least 2.25" !
vzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
nujac
Getting Wild

So the Magic number is 2.25". Today must be my lucky day, From the shoulder on the shaft to the end of the shaft I had cut it down to 2.25".

Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps