lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-14-2022, 11:32 PM   #1
Jhoran1124
Not Yet Wild

Default 85 ezgo marathon can’t get it started for very long

Hey guys new to the fourm and this is my first post. Just bought an 85 ezgo marathon gas a project cart for my hunting lease. This is my first ever golf cart to work on so pretty new to these kinds of motors. I have worked on a few outboards which I’m assuming is pretty close to the same concept. So it has a lot of odd wiring done on it for one and parts that looks like they are for actual cars and the way to get it to fire the starter is to touch two wires together. I have cleaned the carb and swapped it between two different ones that it came with I put in the plug that actually is recommended for the cart. It will kind of fire and act like it wants to start on gas but definitely started better on a little starter fluid. Funny thing is when I do get it running and up to full speed on jack stands it will only run like that in reverse. In forward it acts like it wants to run but just keeps backfiring. I’m gonna try some new gas tomorrow just in case the “new” gas they put in it isn’t bad. Did a compression test and it’s at 100 both directions I will attach some videos of what’s it is doing along with the crazy wiring to the odd parts put into it. It won’t let me upload videos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9864D17C-41D3-4372-9855-03259B9B60AA.jpg (26.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 797CF6E4-CD09-494B-BFE9-96E089BDBD55.jpg (23.6 KB, 0 views)
Jhoran1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2022, 09:02 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 85 ezgo marathon can’t get it started for very long

You will find the 85 manual in post # 22 https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...=105501&page=3

The pictures are blurry, but everything looks normal. I see what looks like a new solenoid. You need a continuous duty golf cart solenoid. There's a good chance that yours isn't.

Which two wires are you holding together to make the starter turn?

Running better in reverse is a good sign of worn crankcase seals.

EDIT: I see that somebody did the HEI mod on yours too. I will post your updated wiring diagram.

Your original coil is sitting next to the new coil. You can try switching the red, and blue wires on the flat module to see which way runs better.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:09 AM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

This is your updated wiring diagram. https://buggiesgonewild.com/attachme...7&d=1323224205

I can't see it in your pictures, but the module needs a fifth wire. It goes from a mounting hole directly to ground. That ground can be the solenoid, the voltage regulator, or even a good clean spot on the frame.

I will also say that the module needs to be mounted on a bare piece of metal with dielectric grease to prevent over heating.

This thread explains what the HEI mod is all about. https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=57736
Old 01-15-2022, 10:23 AM   #4
Jhoran1124
Not Yet Wild

I will take some better pictures in a fe minutes so you can see what all is hooked up where and what wires are have to touch to turn it over l. I did put them on a pull switch I had off my boat to make it easier to try and start
Old 01-15-2022, 10:55 AM   #5
Jhoran1124
Not Yet Wild

Here are some better picture of the wiring the two white wires some off the solenoid are wired into the black wires to the two way switch ( they were open ended when I got it just touching those two together) would get it turning over
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (231.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 9A34BE16-4CFA-494C-9713-E06D8B35D451.jpg (26.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 611DD594-1B78-434C-B408-A1D1E40532FE.jpg (31.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 7CE47BCC-D1A5-4629-85A5-94DC388D4207.jpg (31.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg BB1186A5-5F79-48CE-991D-0C647F957066.jpg (28.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-15-2022, 02:45 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Looks like somebody bypassed the pedal switch. Under your new coil is a lever that connects the throttle cable to the pedal push rod. There should be a micro switch located there. It also looks like your key switch was removed, and somebody installed a toggle switch on the right side of the solenoid.

Here's how it should go.
The large battery cable goes to the solenoid. I see a white wire splitting from there.
The white wire should be connected to an inline fuse, and then connect to one side of a toggle, or key switch.
The other side of that switch should go down to the pedal switch. The opposite side of the pedal switch should connect to one of the small terminals of the solenoid. The other small terminal on the solenoid connects to ground. That is the complete activation circuit.

The pedal switch is very important for two reasons. The cart is not meant to idle. It should only be running when you step on the pedal.
The pedal switch is also used to prevent backfiring when letting off of the gas, and coasting. They are cheap. If yours isn't there, you really should buy one. If the backup buzzer microswitch is still located on the driver's side of the Forward reverse switch, you can use it. It doesn't take much to remove it.

I also see that your HEI module is definitely missing the ground wire. If it's mounted to a painted area, that should be cleaned too.

EDIT: The square box with the rounded corners is the voltage regulator it has three terminals. The center one is a green wire that goes to the df terminal of the starter.

The square white plug that is dangling connects to the original ignitor box.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:23 PM   #7
Jhoran1124
Not Yet Wild

Ok thanks that’s a great start! I will have to buy a pedal switch as I don’t think I have one I did have a few parts it came with but not sure they are any good I’ll take a picture and send them! One of them is a switch and possibly the old solenoid. Should I replace the solenoid that is on it with a continuous one? How do I know if it’s wrong? I will need to clean up a few wires and add the ground wire to the module. The white plus that’s dangling should I splice it into the new Ignitor ?
Old 01-15-2022, 04:25 PM   #8
Jhoran1124
Not Yet Wild

Also Would the faulty wiring cause it to not want to stay running? I can’t figure out how to post the videos and it won’t let me post a link to YouTube to watch them so you can see what it’s doing as it sits
Old 01-15-2022, 04:46 PM   #9
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Leave the plug dangling. It's not being used.

Sometimes the red, and blue wires on the new HEI module need to be switched to see which way runs better.

Post your you tube link and break it so it isn't a live link. We will put it back together to watch it.

You won't be able to post a live link until you have been here a few days. That's how we get around it.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:50 PM   #10
Jhoran1124
Not Yet Wild

https:// youtu.be/ PEOCiMSRnIw

https:// youtube.com/shorts/ W_vMEQqXss4?feature=share
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO