lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2014, 08:57 AM   #1
delbriere
Not Yet Wild

Wink removing primary clutch

Hey people! I am trying to remove my primary clutch on my yamaha G9. I purchased the clutch removal tool, but after trying for awhile all the bolt did was bend at the end. Tried pounding on pulley with no luck. Does anyone know if you can heat the pulley/shaft to loosen. Anyone have same experience and can help me move forward so I can continue?
delbriere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: removing primary clutch

Impact wrench...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I've had stubborn ones before. I just crank the puller bolt down & go away, it will be sitting there loose ready for removal in the morning.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
Dflowe
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I just put a little grease on the end of the puller tool where it comes in contact with the crankshaft and hit it with air impact wrench.

Another trick might be to tighten up the puller bolt, then take a hammer and hit the puller on the end with a quick smack. That might be enough to jolt a stubborn clutch loose.
Dflowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Use antiseize on the threads and end, or grease if you don't have. Get it tight, hit the puller head a few times, spray penetrant on the crank, wait a day, I'd not use heat and not touch the sheaves or outside of the clutch. When they come off they pop and fall off. Last resort you can leave the bolt out a turn and drive the cart around slowly and carefully and see if it pops, keep checking the bolt so it don't fall out or duct tape it/etc, lower rpm only, be safe.

I had a puller made for my G9 took 3 clutches off with it. Took mine off it bent the end, never got it off used another clutch instead. Used a 3/4 impact on it and corkscrewed the end of it. Did use it again and took another clutch off using above tricks. The longer a taper has been on the tighter it sticks, is my experience. Ideally you want to strike the side of the taper (like a ball joint) but you can't on a clutch. First 3 clutches I hit it with a 1/2 impact and it popped off.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:18 PM   #6
delbriere
Not Yet Wild

Okay, so I gather I didnt explain myself correctly. My bad. Sorry. I have the clutch off but not the pulley and have gone through two bolt pullers, which I bent. The darn pulley will not budge. If anyone has had this problem and was able to get the pulley off with a different method. I am wondering if you can heat the pully to get loose. I have to buy a new one anyhow since the splines are damaged. Please help me my fellow golf lovers!

delbriere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #7
blackty
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Saw a youtube video last night because I have to remove mine. The guy put the engine side of the pulley in a vice and used a pipewrench to unscrew the 3 pointed "star" part of the assembly. This may help you. Waiting for the tool to remove the assembly...Jim
blackty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

The clutch should come off as a whole assembly...

Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:29 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
The clutch should come off as a whole assembly...

It has to come off this way, if you trashed the iron part then sure torch it up and get it off. I forgot that half is iron at least with a G9 clutch, and you could heat it some with no harm. The aluminum I would be very careful of heating, maybe propane.

Yes the outer part comes right off, the inner sheave and center post is on the crank taper. Most use a puller and pop the whole thing off at once.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha