lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
willie1981
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default rebuilt j 17 engine won't start

Guys, I have a g1 with the j 17 engine that has been rebuilt from top to bottom. It ran good and one day it quit and not start again so I took it off and sent it to be rebuilt. I installed the engine today and it will not start. I marked the timing plate before I took the engine apart and put it back the same way it was removed. I have not used a volt meter but I took the plug out and layer is on the engine and it I'd firing. I put a new fuel pump on it and it still would do nothing so I hook up a small tank and started gravity feeding. Still nothing. It does back fire now and then and seems like it is going to fire up. I have cleaned the carburetor And it seems to be in good condition. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
willie1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: rebuilt j 17 engine won't start

Here's a quick test.
Remove the spark plug and spray about 2 teaspoons of fuel into the hole. Install the plug and see if it fires. That will send us in the right direction.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
willie1981
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Ok, and thank you sir. I will try this first thing in the am. Sometimes it seems like it is trying so hard to start and then it just backfires and becomes dead again.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:58 AM   #4
willie1981
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Ok, so I installed a new spark plug, and did the test with approximately 2 teaspoons of gas this morning and still nothing. It did seem like it wanted to start at times, but the rpm's never got above an idle. For what it's worth, the exhaust is getting hot when I am cranking the engine. There seems to be good flow coming out of the tail pipe.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

It's not running and the muffler is getting hot?
Old 10-31-2014, 07:31 PM   #6
willie1981
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I think it is firing up now but the engine will not rev up no more than an idle. I took the carburetor apart and ensured that the jets are clean, and the float is adjusted properly. As I said, I have an auxillary tank gravity feeding gas to the carburetor, and I have the vacuum line plugged off. I pulled the magneto and clutch to double check the crank seals and they looked to be ok. I am clueless at this point.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:34 PM   #7
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Are you sure the choke is open and the throttle plate is opening when you press the pedal? Also, is the exhaust butterfly opening when you press the pedal?
Old 10-31-2014, 07:54 PM   #8
willie1981
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Im positive that the choke is open and the throttle plate is opening but I am unsure about the exaust. I do know that there is a lot of flow coming out of the exaust pipe. I did notice that the spark plug was wet the last time I pulled it out. Is it possibe that it's not firing good enough?
Old 10-31-2014, 08:01 PM   #9
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

It is more likely that you have too much fuel going into the motor. Is the float level set correctly so it shuts off the fuel to the carb when the bowl is full?
Old 10-31-2014, 08:07 PM   #10
willie1981
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

When I adjusted the float I set it to where I could barely blow through fuel inlet when the float was hanging down. Does that sound right?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha