lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
jeff70
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Extending swingarm

Hey all,

I am getting ready for my v twin swap and want to extend the swingarm at the same time, it drives me nuts with the tires not being centered in the wheel well. what is the easiest way to do this??
jeff70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #2
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

Default Re: Extending swingarm

These are 25's on my cart. Can't remember exactly how much I dropped and moved the swingarm back. You just can't extend the swingarm without MAJOR changes. I thought about it at first but realized the difficulty. I'll post tomorrow with numbers and how I did it with some more pics.

http://
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
jeff70
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Boke, I should have said "move back" instead of extend.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

The crankshaft is on the way Jeff. Here's a preview.
.9995" and no keyway. Just like you asked for.

1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #5
jeff70
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Thanks, Hopefully the weather here will stay good so I can get some work done, I have untill next spring to get everything done but I am too excited to wait. First is get the motor in, then address the swingarm and I want to chop the top 4"
Old 11-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have my beater cart apart doing this mod right now. I built a lot taller lift than I planned on to begin with and didn't like the angle of the swing arm as it's pretty steep. So while I'm installing the G2 rear to get my reverse back thought I'd do this as well.

I'm dropping the front 6" and moving back 4". Should set the cart just about right.

I did start a post about pictures and descriptions of how others did theirs. Didn't get one reply so just jumped right in on this one myself.

Glad I've been stocking up on scrap steel of all kinds and lengths. I shouldn't need anything to do this that I don't already have.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:06 AM   #7
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

Okay...I dropped my swingarm 4" and back 5". Like smokindawg said, having various scrap metal is good to have. Best thing is to have the tires on the rims you plan to use. I cut my swingarm mounts and moved the swingarm back till I got the look and fit I wanted. After looking more closely at what I did yesterday, it would have been easier to just unbolt the swingarm and build new mounts onto whatever you use to make the changes. Here are a few pics of what I did. There's nothing set in stone as to how someone can do this...just what material you have to work with and having the ability to weld.

Swingarm separated...

Got the look and fit...

I used a piece of 4"x4" tubing welded to the cart frame for the drop and rewelded the swingarm mounts to it.

Just be sure to keep the distance between the front and rear wheels the same and keep the swingarm assembly square. I messed up on mine a little and my swingarm is mounted 2" more to the right. I will need a 2" spacer on my drivers side wheel to equal out the rear wheels, doh me, lol.

Really you just need to start cutting and be able to weld everything back in place. Hope this kinda helps...I didn't know what I was doing when I picked up a sawzall and started cutting but the end result turned out good in my book.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #8
jeff70
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the pics, Looks like I will be saving up for a welder.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #9
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Here is what I did, 4" down and about 2-1/2" back. I started with a new square cross member.

100_1583.jpg

100_1587.jpg

100_1590.jpg

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #10
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

100_1848.jpg

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha