lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-28-2014, 12:09 PM   #1
UGCservice
Not Yet Wild

Cool more power for my yamaha

i have a Yamaha g16 gas cart. and i was wondering if i can put an over-sized carb on it to make more horse power? if so is there any good brands to buy? i have also seen over-sized jets and high flow air filters and was wondering how much of a differences the supposed 1hp makes? if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be very helpful.

I was also thinking about a header kit for the exhaust.
UGCservice is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: more power for my yamaha

I assume you have done a full tune up & valve adjust already. Your best bet for the money is to better utilize the power you have now. Get clutches rebuilt & optimized for your needs, & get a good severe duty belt. This work will make your cart run like a whole different machine.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

A K&N clone air filter and plowman's exhaust on my G 14 made a huge difference on the top end along with tie wrapping the governor.The cart could rev to 4000 rpms fairly easily.I never took it over 4200 as a self imposed limit.However that was with my $15 tach which I now question the accuracy of.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:04 PM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

Buy the AFE filter, NOT the K&N (unless you want to buy a motor). The K&N does not fit the airbox correctly.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:04 PM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Plowman's and I am sure many others offer exhaust plus intake kits.They say their kit gives several horsepower.Just using the exhaust system and a cone type K&N filter made a very real difference.I guess all of us using K&N systems better be careful our engines are going to blow up!
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 04:25 PM   #6
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Plowman's and I am sure many others offer exhaust plus intake kits.They say their kit gives several horsepower.Just using the exhaust system and a cone type K&N filter made a very real difference.I guess all of us using K&N systems better be careful our engines are going to blow up!

I think the thing to remember here is that the stock Yamaha air box and filter was designed to work with the factory jets in the carb for a specific air:fuel ratio. Changing to a high flow air filter will lean the air:fuel out and that will cause engine problems. So you need to re-jet the carb a bit richer to compensate. Plowman sells a jet kit specifically for this purpose. Or you could experiment with increasing jet sizes and looking at the color of the spark plug.

But once you increase total air:fuel flow, the engine should make more power.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:50 PM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

I was talking about the one that goes in the factory airbox, not a cone filter. The one i am talking about is missing a part of the seal for the airbox. None of the air would even pass through the filter. I am not saying to never use a K&N, just be sure you are getting what your motor needs.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGCservice View Post
i have a Yamaha g16 gas cart. and i was wondering if i can put an over-sized carb on it to make more horse power? if so is there any good brands to buy? i have also seen over-sized jets and high flow air filters and was wondering how much of a differences the supposed 1hp makes? if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be very helpful.

I was also thinking about a header kit for the exhaust.
First thing I would do is make sure the basics are up to snuff: compression, tune up, belts, clutches, etc. A lot of carts are neglected and any one of these can throw off the performance quite a bit.

After that, you have to remember that it's going to be "trial and error". There is no one single mod that is by the book. Remember air in, air out. In order to make more power, you have to increase the engine's ability to take in more air and get rid of exhaust. Just changing the "size" of the carb may not be enough, but it's a start. Larger carb = more air = more fuel = more power.

Google "carburetor tuning" or "reading spark plugs" or "changing jets" and you'll be able to read as much as you want. It's not an exact science, lot's of guess work. You'll need lot's of jet sizes or the tiny drill bits to drill out the jets one size at a time. Go too far and you're done, you'll need another jet.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

This stuff helps but in my experience you don't get much more out of a typical cart engine, though the 357 yamaha plowmans kit seems to do better. You seem to get more out of making sure the clutches are working great, better belt helps, umax spring and cut sheave can help even more for hills and takeoff and towing. The better belt and umax really help for trails, the cut sheave for under 5mph and holeshots, the hd kevlar belt helps all over a little its also cogged top and bottom. Just saying it works, but if you really want more power you are better off to save up for a clone or even larger engine and then you will have a giant smile on your face when you hit the gas. None of this will increase top speeds that much, you need HS gears or lift and big tires to get the speed up. Taking the governor off certainly helps speed, just only so much they only rev to 5K or so and do roughly 4K stock with the governor all in.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
performance, upgrades, yamaha 1996 g16
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha