lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2015, 02:58 PM   #1
Donniepowell
Not Yet Wild

Default Questions about G21 Gas

So I have been working on the cart, it is a 2003 G21 and is super cool but I'm having some issues with the Jakes lift. I put a Jakes lift on both my G1 and G2 but this one is not working right.

1. The lift is listed as a 6 inch lift but the lift on the rear shock tower only measures 5 inches.
2. The rear sway arm/pan handle bar mount does not center the rear of the cart. The passenger tire is cocked out of line and fits in the fender where the driver tire is about an inch and half out of the fender. Ther is no adjustment on the link bar so something is off as it was not like this in stock configuration.
3. The lift recommends 23x10.5 tires, which I have but the rear tires are actually touching the rear bumper support on one side and 1/4 inch on the other side. I do not have the bed on cause the additional weight compresses the spring making the frame sit on the tires.

I called The vendor I purchase it from and he sent me to Jakes to ask for the "engineer" off the lift as he could help. I left a message with my contact info but have not heard back.

Have any of you had this issue with your lifts? I like the product but am not sure why I got a 5 inch lift instead of a 6 inch lift that I purchased. They did make a 5 inch lift but the box that I have shows the 6 inch lift.

On another note, I have the electric dump bed on the cart but the actuator does not work, I believe the gear is stripped. I looked high and low but can not find a replacement. Anyone know where I can get one?

Please, no bashing or debating about the lift, I'm just looking for answers.
Donniepowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2015, 05:42 PM   #2
Cdebo1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Questions about G21 Gas

Hey I to am rebuilding the g21. Super cool cart. I was looking into lifts as well and one thing I found is that there is a "special" 6" lift for the g21 did you get it specifically for the g21 this may be the issue. I have seen a few kits that say it will not work with the haulers with front breaks.

Have you tired a Yamaha dealer for the actuator. I can get you the PART NUMBE R IF NEEDED. I won't be using my bed but the cart didn't have the actuator when I bought. I will keep looking at this post because I have asked similar questions.

Here's where I'm at custom fabed rear seat and frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (176.1 KB, 0 views)
Cdebo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:08 PM   #3
Donniepowell
Not Yet Wild

Good questions. I like your cart. Your cart appears longer than mine. I actually called jakes directly and they have me the part number and told me this was the only lift they made for this cart and the part numbers on my invoice match with what they told me to order.

As far as the actuator, I have the existing one and it turns and works but does not go up and down which leads me to believe it's the brass drive gear. I have yet to take it apart but I have found other actuators that might work. I'm gonna do a flat bed custom seat for it but I use it to haul stuff.

I did order 2-1/2 spacers for the rear because with the lift the front tires are considerably longer.

I have faith they will make it work, if not I'll fab my own to make it work. It just stinks because if I say I'm getting a large pizza and pay for a large pizza, I don't want to get a medium.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:10 PM   #4
Donniepowell
Not Yet Wild

Here is a pic of the cart without the bed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (215.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-21-2015, 07:11 PM   #5
Donniepowell
Not Yet Wild

You can see from that pic the passenger tire is sitting on the rear bumper cross member
Old 04-21-2015, 07:18 PM   #6
Donniepowell
Not Yet Wild

My plans are to go with a black and white seat with narrowed and shortened bed which I will polish and rhino line the inside of the bed. All of the black will be painted satin black with a black top for the black and white look. I have ordered new ramp shoes, belt, puller, rear cir clip spacer and primary clutch bushings as they have not been maintained and I have some noises I don't like. I do know that when I pulled the primary I have flat spots on all 3 weights but the rollers are all good. I will profile them to get rid of the flat spots and see if that makes it smoother or just replace the clutch. I will probably end up cutting the panhandle bar in the rear and extending it so the rear end tracks straight so I can use the existing bolt holes. Once I get all of this done I'm gonna build a 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 cage for it but I gotta buy the die for my bender first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (200.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-21-2015, 08:00 PM   #7
Cdebo1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I bought the entire new primary clutch for about 300$ worth not screwing around on a rebuild in my case.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:13 AM   #8
Donniepowell
Not Yet Wild

I just wanted to provide an update on the lift situation. I talked with Jakes and they went back and fort telling me ther must be something with the install or cart. They asked me to send pics of the install which I did but would not address my question of why it was listed as a 6 inch lift but only gave 5 inches on. The hardware. After I hit them back up this morning they let me know they make some "small" changes to the lift because customers were complaining the rear sat too high. I guess the "small changes would mean cutting an inch off the rear goal post.

Anyhoo, they are making me a taller goal post and sending it to me to raise the rear. Hopefully that will help address the offset rear end. I think if you are buying a 6 inch lift and it says it works on a 23 inch tire it should work. If it don't work, revise your add and say its a 5 inch lift and will work with 22 tires. I like their products, but man I really think they bit the bullet on this one.

Basically you get a 5 inch front lift and a 6 inch rear lift or straight 5 inch if you do not ask for the rear post.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #9
Cdebo1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Here is my G21 almost done...yea right.. Gona get some better pictures, but its running around the block. I have bypassed the governor on mine and am getting close to 30mph with the lift kit and bigger wheels. Cruising at 23/25 without pushing the motor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7224.jpg (146.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7222.jpg (150.7 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha