lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2016, 04:08 PM   #1
hardway
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Slow G2 Rebuild and mod ?'s

Hello. I am new to the cart game and have no friends in the game so I need help.
My cart is a 1990 G2 coded J55-112646. Very cold blooded and it is cold as a witches heart here now. I did run it a little today,only in garage,but it ran. It does leak oil(lots) when I ran it 2 weeks ago when I got it. My son is the family pro on engines so I am waiting on him to help. My first task is to test compression, if it is to low I want to rebuild it. Performance golf carts has a kit for $200. The piston is 50mm over so displacement would go from 285 to ?. Does any one know if this will help speed substantially? Is it worth the money or should I stay stock?
Next, has any one here used any Plowman products? Is the aftermarket muffler all they tote it to be? Is their clutch kit a good replacement or is there another manufacturer you would recommend? Thank you for any and all suggestions and opinions.
hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-10-2016, 09:54 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Slow G2 Rebuild and mod ?'s

All that stuff will help, but if you want more speed/power you may as well spend on a clone kit and you will be far ahead. The stock engine is limited, while plowmans has the best stuff for them you can only do so much. The newer carts he can get going better, but a clone is larger to start with and you can get mods for that cheap. By the time you buy a rebuild kit and have it bored, a clone 420 is only $300 new for the whole engine. A Vegas clone is more but faster too, HD parts in it.

I'm not telling you to go this way, depends on what you want out of the cart. The stock engines run forever, very reliable, if that satisfies you then stick with it. You can't get much more power out of them far as I know, that stuff helps but you are talking minimal gains many of us have been there. You strap a clone in there and with minor cheap mods you have near twice the HP and 1000+ more rpm. The first clone I did for about $400 total, I made my own mount, used the clutch adapter, bought used car muffler, etc. Jetted the carb and buzzed around with it, I was like a kid with a new bike! Wow was that (still is) fun! That clone was all stock minus governor, it went about 2mph faster on gps but got there in half the distance. It spins up hills with 22s. So again it depends on what you want out of the cart, how crafty you are, how much you wrench on things, etc.

People have modded the muffler and fit other lawn mufflers. You do have to be careful because most mufflers are louder than stock ones.

I did another clone and used nicer stuff, modded the engine some but still stock internals in the block. I've gained 8mph gps on that so far compared to stock with no governor on 22s. (38gps). Others have hit 40mph, but to be honest I hardly ever go that fast unless I am testing top speed so I can post it here lol. I trail ride mostly or going next door and can't go that fast in those areas. The extra power is what I really like, at a low price, and it still runs with the pedal start just like stock. It is up to you, figure out how you will use the cart.

One last thing is you can sell a good stock engine any time, so you are not losing everything if you rebuild that one for now.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:34 PM   #3
didjidude
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I'm with Sho on this one, big block that baby and you will never regret it. Check out Vegas Carts, best bang for the buck and an easy conversion.
didjidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:58 PM   #4
hardway
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I am a wood butcher by trade but I stink at metal work. The compression is 160 so I don't have to rebuild. As far as speed, I am talking 10- 15 mph. I don't need super speed. I will run it for a month or so then decide if I want to add Plowman parts.
Thank you for the replies
Old 01-30-2016, 04:09 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

160 is good. Have you turned up the govenor? Even if you get the engine running great, if the clutch's aren't doing there job correctly you will have a poor performing car.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:15 PM   #6
hardway
Gone Wild

Yamaha

How do I tune the govenor????
Heck, where is it?
Old 01-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The G2 has the highest compression, iirc 185 or something. The G9 less, newer carts less yet. Anyway what usually happens is the oil ring blows first and they start smoking and still have reasonable compression but burn oil. You can re ring them at that point and run for a while if it has not been done, the best is to bore it of course.

First I would get it running nice, you may need to hog the main jet a little for winter use but before you do that in order for them to run right the airbox system must be completely sealed and check for cracks in the intake spacer between carb and head. Those two things can make them run poor and are somewhat common issues. If you tighten the spacer too much it will crack. If the airbox is not sealed it will not run well either, they are funny about that. Normally if you drive one for a minute it will run ok in the cold, if not then you may have a leak or dirty carb, etc.

After that I would make sure your CVT is working well and note any wear. The sheaves can be worn by the belt. The belt wear limit is 1" wide and a stock cart will start to lose power on hills then, a lifted cart will lose power before that. Thin belt makes them bog down. You need the CVT to work well to get all your power to the ground, its pretty important and CVT don't get serviced much. Clean and lube the center shafts via zerk grease fitting but 1-2 pump or it will come out on the belt and you have to clean it. Most do but some G2 don't have zerk on secondary, its above the spring ramp on the trans side on sheave.

See how it runs then, then think about plowmans parts. Or if say your clutch parts are bad then you can buy plowmans instead of stock parts for example. But that stuff needs to work right to get full stock power, performance parts wont help if something is messed up to start with. These carts didn't run bad new they would go up hills with two guys and two bags of clubs and a cooler no problem, but they have lots of years on them now and who knows what service they had if any.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:18 PM   #8
hardway
Gone Wild

Yamaha

How do I remove the back section of the body? A better ?, is it worth removing to work on the cart? I have also seen spacers to add between carb and manifold. What is the reasoning behind that?
Old 01-30-2016, 07:45 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

There is a factory black spacer, they can crack if tightened too far. This insulates and keeps the carb from getting hot as the engine. I don't know about non factory ones.

Body comes off easy, take 3 bolts out under the seat on top at edge of body. Pull the bottom bagwell plastic out there are two bolts into the frame I think take those out (I forget because I have my dump box frame mounted there with bolts and that holds my body on), lift the body a couple inches and slide it out the back. There are clips that go in slots in the front ahead of the rear tires, slide those down in the slot when you put it back on. You may have to slide those up a little to release them if they are full of dirt/etc.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:26 AM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Listen to these guys, they know what they are talking about. These are good carts to tinker on. G2 and G9 are prob Yamaha's better carts.

If you big block that cart you will never regret it. It's going to cost more than a standard rebuild, but the benefits will have you grinning ear to ear.

I did my last one for less than $600, and that was a Vtwin Briggs.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha