lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2016, 07:25 PM   #1
Bigmugs
Not Yet Wild

Default Gas G8 electrical problem (runs sluggish)

Just bought a 1992 gas g8. Runs but not as it should. First when I drove it it seemed fine. Then it seemed sluggish. When I put it in reverse it took off with full power and ran great. When put in forward it was sluggish and did not have the top rpm range it should.
Changed spark plug, cleaned carb. With no change. Started looking around and moving wires when it was running on jack stands and I got a shock. Found the ground cable that is behind the fan and hooked in with the pulse coil was burnt off. Replaced ground cable and pulse coil wire. No change. Unbolted reverse buzzer micro switch and ran cart on jack stands. Cart runs sluggish with switch depressed. If you let the switch go the buzzer goes off and it runs a lot faster and pepier. Depress the switch and it slows down.
Removed wire harness and checked all wires, but no problem found. Unplugged micro switch and cart runs sluggish. Don't know what to do. Added more ground cables but no change. Thinking about changing the pulse coil because the ground by it was melted and maybe it is damaged and shorting out. Ohms are 360 but don't know the spec for new one. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Bigmugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2016, 07:44 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Gas G8 electrical problem (runs sluggish)

Welcome to BGW and on your new ride I have found in the past that the reverse buzzer signal can create a bad ground signal witch cause the ignitor to give a bad signal to the coil. Yamaha also "pigtailed" a small 14 gauge wire into the negative battery cable that atatches to the end plate of the starter/generator, cut back the electrical tape, cut off the small wire, use a small eye end and reattatch it to the same "stud" as the negative cable. Also check the "built" style connectore from that small wire that plugs into the main wire harness. Remember, the "spark" is based on open/closed ground, bad ground, bad spark. Good luck
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:54 PM   #3
Bigmugs
Not Yet Wild

I unplugged the buzzer and it runs sluggish. The only way I can get good power and throttle response is with the buzzer going off. Sometimes the buzzer quits and if you tap it, it starts buzzing again. If the buzzer quits so does the good engine performance. The buzzer was zip tied to some wires and not grounded to the frame. When I ground it the good performance goes away also.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:28 PM   #4
Bigmugs
Not Yet Wild

Does anyone have specs for ohms reading on the pulse coil, or any other electrical parts?
Old 07-29-2016, 06:00 AM   #5
Bigmugs
Not Yet Wild

Ordered a manual and followed the flow chart which led me to the ignititor. All other components checked out and when I checked the plug on the ignititor i found some corrosion. Replaced ignititor and runs great.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:37 AM   #6
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha