lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2016, 04:06 PM   #1
bobg29dever
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default 2009 & 2011 G 29's fuel concern !

The campground where we have these carts offers me only two choices for fuel. I can either run the way overpriced 87 octane with 10% ethanol or 93 octane that is ethanol free ..... You can only imagine what that cost ! I can't imagine these carts needing 93 octane as both being stock, but the ethanol free is always a nice plus to keep the fuel system from gumming up or corroding, but not for $4.79 a gallon .

What's a person to do run the 87 octane and a little fuel stabilizer like seafoam and call it good ? Will there be a benefit to every other tank full with the 93 octane as it would work as a cleaner keeping everything in proper order ?
bobg29dever is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2016, 05:15 PM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: 2009 & 2011 G 29's fuel concern !

I think the 87 octane is fine, and Seafoam is always good. If the cart is going to sit for periods of time, install a fuel shut off valve and run it out of gas. The 93 octane is a waste of money IMO.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:59 PM   #3
bobg29dever
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

i love that idea of 87 octane ....... saves money ! I just assumed everyone was going to tell me go ethanol free to assure carb and fuel system stays clean and running well. Tanks are small on the G29 as compared to filling my truck and MPG is great so that takes us to the next concern would 93 ethanol free hurt the stock engine as i'm sure it doesn't need that high of octane nor jetted for it.

I might fill these two carts 4 times per year each. I'm not trying to convince myself to pay more i need to make sure i'm doing the right thing for the cart and the motors.
bobg29dever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:16 PM   #4
CAMPERCART2013
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Either bring your own non ethanol fuel or pay for it thereI would never recommend any ethanol in ANY small engine or two stroke I am not a fan of ethanol blend. I only run no corn fuel in all of my engines. In my experience it is not as efficient,more corrosive,and will deteriorate fiberglass fuel tanks in watercrafts. I can get mid grade fuel with no ethanol local if not available then I would buy high test fuel without ethanol just my .02 of coarse
CAMPERCART2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:26 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Re-jetting for higher octane is not needed or beneficial. Also, running higher than needed octane runs no risk of engine damage, BUT, it is flushing money down the toilet. 4 tanks per year? Then i would also suggest using the factory installed fuel shutoff (all YDRA except FI has one) and running the cart out of fuel before parking it. I feel that would get you more benefit than going with a ethanol-free fuel & doesnt cost you extra money for fancy fuel.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:34 PM   #6
CAMPERCART2013
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Re-jetting for higher octane is not needed or beneficial. Also, running higher than needed octane runs no risk of engine damage, BUT, it is flushing money down the toilet. 4 tanks per year? Then i would also suggest using the factory installed fuel shutoff (all YDRA except FI has one) and running the cart out of fuel before parking it. I feel that would get you more benefit than going with a ethanol-free fuel & doesnt cost you extra money for fancy fuel.
Are you saying it's ok to leave fuel in tank and ok to run in small engines?
Old 03-18-2016, 09:42 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMPERCART2013 View Post
Are you saying it's ok to leave fuel in tank and ok to run in small engines?
Im not saying its great, but just NOT having the carb full of fuel (to evaporate & leave residue) when not in use will eliminate most all gunked-up carb problems. A whole bowl of gas left to evaporate will leave WAY more residue in the carb than the drop or 2 left in the bottom of a carb that was ran out of gas before parking it. All gasoline, treated or untreated, will go bad eventually if given enough time. 3 month old gas is nearing the end of its lifespan in my opinion (just my opinion). Would i try to run the 3 month old gas? Yep. I personally dont run any additives, i had a batch of brand new carts give me a huge load of trouble. I thought i would "be a good boy" and put a additive in tbe tank, as the carts often sit for a while between delivery and actual sale. The carts with additive all had huge problems with gummed-up intake valves. So bad that they would stick open, allowing the pushrod to fall out of place. All those brand-new carts had their head & intake valve removed for cleaning. The sludge was up far enough inside the valve guide, a carb-cleaner spray wouldnt get rid of it without a total head teardown. That was a not-fun experience, to say the least. Due to that experience, i'll "chance it" without additives. Others may have different experience, and im not knocking their opinion.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:04 PM   #8
CAMPERCART2013
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Good to know I feel as if I was misinformed. I have tested multiple vehicles with and without ethanol fuels and real world is 2 mpg difference. Then read multiple articles about ethanol fuels eating through fiberglass fuel tanks in boats. And became concerned with corrosion. If vehicle is designed to burn the blend then okay with me. but if not I am a fan of the non corn. I have never been a fan of the mechanic in th bottle.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha