lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2017, 07:01 PM   #1
Gavingamer123
Not Yet Wild

Default G16 Golf Cart Wont Start

So i ordered a new tune up kit for my golf cart. I replaced the spark plug,the air filters, both fuel filters (i have 2) and fuel pump. When i start the cart its does not move and i just hear the engine run. Also the belt is not catching. The gas is getting to the second fuel filter by the carb but the gas is just sitting the the filter. Sometimes it will run while riding but it just dies. I'm thinking that is the carb but if its the carb is it better to buy a new one or clean the old one. The carts a 1997. A new carb is about 20$. The golf cart backfires at times and stinks like gas. Also when you go at full speed its slows down.

One last thing if the engine gets to hot then the golf cart wont run intill it cools down.
Gavingamer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-04-2017, 08:18 PM   #2
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 Golf Cart Wont Start

Wow sounds like several issues. When you say it won't move and you just hear the engine run, either your just hearing the starter turn, or a wheel drum is stripped out. If the belt is not catching then it's worn out too much. It is always better to buy a new carb and it's cheap so buy new. If it backfires, the adjustment screw needs to be adjusted so the butterfly is completely closed. Lastly, if it shuts down when getting too hot your coil may be bad. It is not too common but the coil can act up sometimes until the car cools off.
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:00 PM   #3
Gavingamer123
Not Yet Wild

sorry for not being clear. the starter belt is spinning and also the belt drum or whatever its called. it will sometimes catch on a good day. every other day it will run for about 5 min and then stop mid ride.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:43 PM   #4
robertakamagoo
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Sounds like coil my would not start when hot I replace it with a Yamaha on not a after market one. I guess they are know for coils .
robertakamagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:53 PM   #5
Gavingamer123
Not Yet Wild

hers a vid about what mines doing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOIZleVe2_0
Old 03-05-2017, 07:34 AM   #6
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

That's NOT a '97 G16. It's a G1--'79-early '80's. And concerning the carb, I think it's always better to rebuild the OEM carb with quality OEM parts instead of spending money on a cheap carb that may or may not work.

Start with replacing the drive belt.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #7
Gavingamer123
Not Yet Wild

I understand that was not my golf cart but i was trying to give an example. and also i will replace the drive belt
Old 03-05-2017, 11:41 AM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaguy97 View Post
It is always better to buy a new carb and it's cheap so buy new.
Wow, working at a dealer, I'm surprised to hear you suggest buying the junk $20 carbs. I have had far too many problems to recommend them. But I would make this suggestion in agreement with your assessment of price. Since they are so cheap, buy 3 & you might get 1 good one .
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:22 PM   #9
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Wow, working at a dealer, I'm surprised to hear you suggest buying the junk $20 carbs. I have had far too many problems to recommend them. But I would make this suggestion in agreement with your assessment of price. Since they are so cheap, buy 3 & you might get 1 good one .

Should have been more specific. I was really referring to his question is it better to clean or buy new, so in that case I would tell most people to just buy a new one. As for his 20 dollar price for a carb, if he is lucky he will be fine. Then again, I know a guy that bought a carb for over a thousand dollars and it was not right when he got it either
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:45 AM   #10
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

Engine running way to lean. That explains why it is getting hot. Probably fuel delivery problem. Remove filters and test run engine butr, replace filters right after. If still the same it probably got some trash in the carb from changing filters. Completely dissassemble carb and clean. If it ran ok before you did the tune-up then it is probably dirt somewhere.
oncearacer52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
g16 golf cart, wont start
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha