lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #1
ODB84FLH
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Volt meter connection and other electrical questions

Can anyone help me with how to connect a volt meter up on a gas G22?

I often read where people install radios, lights, and other electrical items and I've wondered how they are fed, meaning by a separate switch from the battery or through the key switch somehow. If using a separate switch then it would have to turned on to use the equipment but through the key switch like a car it would be off when you turn off the cart and you wouldn't have to remember to turn off the separate switch. So, my question is what's the best way to do this for adding electrical items?

Thanks ODB
ODB84FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Volt meter connection and other electrical questions

The best way is to run a switched (by key or toggle) power (+) leg to a small fuse panel and a new ground wire to frame. Then ground your accessories and run all the (+) wires back to the fuse panel IMHO
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:43 PM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The best way is to run a switched (by key or toggle) power (+) leg to a small fuse panel and a new ground wire to frame. Then ground your accessories and run all the (+) wires back to the fuse panel IMHO
Yup.

If you want to test things you can take your volt meter and put the black lead directly on the battery's negative (or frame) then, with the key switch on, touch the red lead to the wires at the rear of the switch until you find one that is energized with the switch on but not energized without it on. That's the wire you'll want to work from.

You can work from a wiring diagram as well but those can be confusing if you aren't familiar with them.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:22 PM   #4
cfherrman
Gone Wild

One of the starter gen posts has power when running, might be a good spot as well
cfherrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:42 AM   #5
ODB84FLH
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Appreciate the guidance with the electrical. I'm open to all ideas as I'm unsure of the limitations and such.

I'm getting my granddaughter involved with the upgrades as well.
ODB84FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:31 PM   #6
icyveins
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I always like to read right on the hot side of the battery, when you turn on key it will display the battery and then upon startup it will read whats getting put back into the battery
icyveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:52 AM   #7
QB100
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I'm in process of setting up accessories on my g29 with a marine fusebox and relays.

the ignition key will power a relay that will provide power to all my accessory switches.

no accessories will function without the key in the "on" position

each accessory will have its own relay.

I'm going to figure out how to get the reverse buzzer and oil light hooked into the key switch as well.. it just bugs me to have electrical items always powered on when your not there....

seen a cart at the campground with a dead battery last year because the oil light came on while the owner was gone for a week.

I'll post some pictures when I have it all set up on the G29 page...
QB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:58 PM   #8
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
... and a new ground wire to frame. Then ground your accessories and run all the (+) wires back to the fuse panel IMHO
Be carefull, on my G-15A (Japan), the only original protection is a 10A which is on the negative so I have to wire both + and - and not use the frame...
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:07 PM   #9
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB100 View Post
I'm in process of setting up accessories on my g29 with a marine fusebox and relays.

the ignition key will power a relay that will provide power to all my accessory switches.

no accessories will function without the key in the "on" position

each accessory will have its own relay.

I'm going to figure out how to get the reverse buzzer and oil light hooked into the key switch as well.. it just bugs me to have electrical items always powered on when your not there....

seen a cart at the campground with a dead battery last year because the oil light came on while the owner was gone for a week.

I'll post some pictures when I have it all set up on the G29 page...
I was in the same idea as you, but had to keep one of the electrical panel fuse always on, mainly for the radio "memory", phone charger (in a key lock compartment, it recharges 60% in 10 min), etc...

Concerning the buzzer, I simply added a relay to isolate when key is off and, at the same time, use it as a turn signal.
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha