lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #1
7lazy77
Not Yet Wild

Default g9 new motor help

Was wondering if could get some help. I have done some reading on old threads, but I am still a little confused. I recently purchased a g9 cart & was told the engine was "rebuilt a couple of years ago"....well, since I am a lacking mechanic skills & not knowing what to look for, I took his word for it. (why wouldn't I, the cart is in great shape cosmetically) The cart recently quit on me & I took it in to the closest golf cart repair shop (90 miles away). Got a call back & I guess the bottom crank is locking up & the bearings are shot....long story short, they are quoting me $1500 for a repair!

I was looking at just getting a new engine to drop in it to see if I could lessen the blow of my recent purchase. I don't think I want to go quite as big as a big block. The cart is simply used around the house & for hunting & camping trips. I would like to gain more speed (16 mph before it quit me) & torque for hauling additional people & equipment. If I understand everything I have read, the 420 clone would probably be the best option? Looked on Vegas Carts website & didn't see any 420, just the 460. Found a Lifan for $415. What else would I need to get in addition if I swapped the engine with the 420 clone? I am trying to calculate cost to see what my best option is, other than the $1500 repair. Thanks for all your help.
7lazy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: g9 new motor help

If you are wanting to keep the Yamaha engine, give Don a call.

>> http://www.plowmanscarts.com/

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:31 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Cheapest is a clone on sale, otherwise lowest one I have seen is powerland clones on ebay. Not sure I would recommend but they run I guess. Then harbor freight. Better clones are lifans like the home depot. If you keep the gen start on the cart you only need a recoil start 420, if you don't you should get the 18A charge version of any clone you get or you should put an alternator on it. Stock elec start clones only charge 3A and battery can go low on your, if you really want to get rid of the gen starter/pedal start.

$269 to your door for the 420 recoil, however I forgot if you want it to rev you have to buy the coil for it. http://www.homedepot.com/p/LIFAN-1-i...F-BQ/203277162
$484 for the 18A elec start http://www.homedepot.com/p/LIFAN-1-i...BDQC/203277131
That is the one I bought but before they had the ut2.

Then look at the mounts at Vegas and see what they are, you need an exhaust yet, that should get you most of the cost you need for it. There is a big exhaust thread here in clones you can look at.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:43 AM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

If it is a cart your are going to flip half azzed repairs or swaps is one option.BUT if it is a cart you plan on keeping for yourself it is money well spent getting the vegaccarts engine swap kit complete.Everything is new except your old S/G , fuel pump, and transaxle. None of this searching ebay or here or craigslist for old parts that might work. One phone call, one afternoon to install and you are done for many years. And if you do have motormania the is a whole wide world of speed equipment for the most hopped up and raced small engine in the world with more coming out all the time.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:02 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The VC460 is the best deal going, its the best clone, it has billet rod and HD block and a cam, its the fastest unless you build your own and you will have more into that. For the price you can't go wrong. Only way I would tell you to get a regular clone is if your budget says you need to or you have no interest in going faster just want more oomph than stock or cheap new engine to replace stock. Then a good clone is a good way to go and certainly the cheapest option, other than making it quiet as stock that takes a little work because the stock cart muffler is too restrictive to use on it, and that is pretty much for any larger lawn engine unless the lawn engine comes with a quiet muffler.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha