lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
G-gaurd
Getting Wild

Default G1 crankshaft keyway has cracks at corners

I removed the woodruff key and discovered cracks at the corners going up into the relief and forward towards the threads at end

Could this be the cause of my inability to get correct timing ?

The photo using this tablet isn't perfect but I think you can see some of the cracks I'm talking about
I'll try to transfer better photos in a minute
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170527_114054_1.jpg (77.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170527_114018_1.jpg (117.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170527_113801.jpg (104.2 KB, 0 views)
G-gaurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2017, 01:57 PM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: G1 crankshaft keyway has cracks at corners

Probably not. The electronic ignitions on these carts deliver a pretty long spark and that gets you some decent tolerance with regard to timing. If that were a points cart, which require just about perfect timing, I would be more concerned.

Not sure if you have access to a welder but those cranks can be fixed with a bit of weld the some filing.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:28 PM   #3
G-gaurd
Getting Wild

Default Re: G1 crankshaft keyway has cracks at corners

Could I be possible that when I torque down the flywheel as it presses on the woodruff key it spreads open the cracks a little bit more and causes the spark to fire premature ?

There has got to be an explanation for my timing issue as well as a solution ?

How does the fan mark line up with the mark on the stator plate when spark occurs ?

Could the coil ignition coil itself be the cause ?.... According to the repair manual I am correct with resistance on both coils ... Pulsar and charging ... My CDI is brand new that I purchased off of eBay .... If I knew how to show the link to eBay I would cause the guy is still selling them .

My other option is to see if it's necessary to tie all my grounds to one wired location .... I don't think the CDI has an effect on the timing of the spark with is generated by the magneto and stator coils
This is driving me nuts
G-gaurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha