lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2017, 10:44 AM   #21
jacot23
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: My G2 Rebuild Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks141 View Post
Been a couple days, any progress with the build?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm still tearing down

Undecided for sure whether I'm going to cut out the bent cross member and replace it. I think I remember owner #2 driving off into a pond late one Friday night and this is the aftermath:

I do have 3 boxes arriving from NY today and tomorrow with some body parts

With work and kids this is going to be a long process.
jacot23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2017, 10:56 AM   #22
marks141
Gone Wild

Yamaha

This is my setup up for my cart.

I went with a bigger engine and a 7" lift with 25" tires so I dropped and pulled it back to level everything and to get the room for my rear tires.
If you do replace it, try and grind or cut the ears off that so you can re use them, might be able to weld them back onto what ever you plan to use to replace it. If you don't buy anything bigger than 20" tires you can put the arm in the same spot. If you decide to move it back you will end up needing longer break cables and other smaller things.
marks141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:26 PM   #23
jacot23
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks141 View Post
This is my setup up for my cart.

I went with a bigger engine and a 7" lift with 25" tires so I dropped and pulled it back to level everything and to get the room for my rear tires.
If you do replace it, try and grind or cut the ears off that so you can re use them, might be able to weld them back onto what ever you plan to use to replace it. If you don't buy anything bigger than 20" tires you can put the arm in the same spot. If you decide to move it back you will end up needing longer break cables and other smaller things.
Thanks for the picture, between this and TheNewGuy's frame thread I've got a decent idea if I do replace that crossmember; which is very likely, as I'd rather do it now while the cart is mostly disassembled.

Seat backs arrived today
Old 06-22-2017, 07:46 PM   #24
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

I must say, I've never seen that frame member bent. It would put the swing arm in a bind. I think Marks, upgraded frame member looks good, but I would not have welded just the sides. Top/bottom/sides and even the hole in the bracket. Wish Ron/Thenewguy would sell his drop frame, it's outstanding work
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:16 PM   #25
jacot23
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
I must say, I've never seen that frame member bent. It would put the swing arm in a bind. I think Marks, upgraded frame member looks good, but I would not have welded just the sides. Top/bottom/sides and even the hole in the bracket. Wish Ron/Thenewguy would sell his drop frame, it's outstanding work
I bet he'd sell several.

I remember laughing my butt off the night that happened. We were sitting around outside the clubhouse waiting for the last group to come in and turn in scores (Friday scramble). The owner at the time was slightly intoxicated (ok, really drunk and should not have been driving anything) and drove into the pond on number 9. The passenger jumped and the driver was thrown over the front of the cart into the pond; cart must have hung an old stump. After we figured out he was alright we all laughed our butt off! I bought the cart a few years later and it drove good enough that I didn't notice or really even look at that part of the frame.

By your post about binding the swing arm I could only assume that you're suggesting replacement?
Old 06-23-2017, 08:01 AM   #26
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Thanks for the kind words Dave, I just don't want to deal with the liability issue.

>>> http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/desig...me-repair.html

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:52 PM   #27
ironmonkey17
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I had that same bent part of the frame on my G2 frame, I cut that section out and re-welded a new pipe in..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160617_113740.jpg (267.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20160609_190016.jpg (340.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20160617_113747.jpg (274.0 KB, 0 views)
ironmonkey17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:20 PM   #28
jacot23
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Well I decided to turn the frame over for a closer look and discovered that I HAVE to replace the cross member :(
The frame itself looks decent, at least no cracks I can see yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-06-27 20.16.03.jpg (133.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-27-2017, 09:24 PM   #29
GaryMAc
Not Yet Wild

My G2 is an 89 but was in pretty bad shape, so I just sanded the body filled in the ripples with flexible bondo, primed and painted , recovered the seats myself, put lift kit, new starter, new breaks and drums, new fuel pump, new tires and wheels, added a rear seat and surfboard top and it looke pretty darn good. Just a little TLC does wonders for these old carts. ANd right now I am rebuilding the clutch with the help and advice from some of the people in this forum who are very knowledgeable and willing to help.

ANd to go along with the scheme for the surf boards and you have to look close but the flames down the sides are actually schools of fish

GaryMAc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:38 PM   #30
jacot23
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMAc View Post
My G2 is an 89 but was in pretty bad shape, so I just sanded the body filled in the ripples with flexible bondo, primed and painted , recovered the seats myself, put lift kit, new starter, new breaks and drums, new fuel pump, new tires and wheels, added a rear seat and surfboard top and it looke pretty darn good. Just a little TLC does wonders for these old carts. ANd right now I am rebuilding the clutch with the help and advice from some of the people in this forum who are very knowledgeable and willing to help.

That does look pretty darn good!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha