lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2017, 11:06 AM   #1
ATV-RVr
Not Yet Wild

Default 2007 Carryall not starting and backfiring

This is a friends cart, (it has the FE350 engine) when I started the engine would barely start with playing with the throttle and choking but would die. we were able to get it backed into the garage. After reading a bunch of post, I started with cleaning the carb. It did have fine black deposits in the bowl. the clean carb is back on but the cart still doesn't run. Next, I checked the spark plug, it was black and had a large gap (over .040) I adjusted it to .035. Cart starts but doesn't stay running. (I replaced the spark plug with an E3 brand) When I start cranking the engine the starter seems to hang like the motor has kickback. I have seen this on lawn mower engines and it was due to valves needed adjustments. I just took off the valve cover and with both valves closed the valves are tight (tighter than .003) and I did not see any adjustment screws. I have new filters and fuel line ordered. Any suggestions?

PS. Can someone explain how the maintenance switch is suppose to work. At the moment I have the rearend on jackstands and just using the normal operation to crank the cart.
ATV-RVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2017, 02:21 PM   #2
phoddy
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Need help on a 2007 Carryall not starting and backfiring

I had the same problem with my FE290. I am afraid you might have to replace your ignition coil. Mine would do that after running some few meters. The FE350 have hydraulic lifters you can't adjust the valve clearance. If you have a precedent there must be a yellow cam just under the seat close to where the forward/reverse switch is coming which you can pull back twist to deactivate the dead circuit micro switches. Hope you get help with this.
phoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:36 PM   #3
ATV-RVr
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply, This Carryall doesn't have the same shifter as my gas DS or your cart (and I really like that feature learned from this wonderful forum) it has the forward/reverse handle on the dash board. So under the tilt bed there is a switch for Maintenance/operate. In Maintenance, It doesn't seen to allow me to start the cart. I probably don't have the shifter or the key in the correct position.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:00 PM   #4
ATV-RVr
Not Yet Wild

here is an update; I removed the carb again and there was black dusty particles in the bowl. So I took the carb all apart and soaked it in carb cleaner for about 30 minutes. I blew it all out with compressed air. Before reinstalling the carb, I replaced the 2 fuel filters and all of the fuel hose. I installed the carb then I cranked the engine and made sure I had fuel flowing before installing the gas hose, the engine would just spin not fire at all. Pulled the spark plug and it was dry, I then checked the spark and there was a good spark. I reinstalled the spark plug and I gave the carb a shot of engine starting fluid and I didn't get any kind if sign of it starting. Question...Is there a timing mark that will let me check timing?
Old 07-03-2017, 08:00 AM   #5
ATV-RVr
Not Yet Wild

New update; This am I removed the wire on the Rev Limiter and taped it up. The engine fired right up ran sweet for maybe 30 seconds then started backfiring and running very rough (this 30 seconds let me hear the engine and know that the carb and adjustments were good). I have been searching/reading soo many post on this forum and really appreciate all of the knowledge.

Next I will look for the coil part number to get one ordered.

Thanks
Old 07-03-2017, 06:24 PM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

If your running an open carb... (intake tube and airbox not connected) it'll run badly!

it was a thought... just in case!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:22 AM   #7
ATV-RVr
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Lockman1, I had the air box connected only because I read it on another post. Sometimes I think I get info overload while reading these post...Then I start working on the cart and some of the knowledge actually sunk in.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:02 PM   #8
ATV-RVr
Not Yet Wild

Last update for this thread.... I replaced the coil, BTW thank you for the help you guys have submitted on other post. I was able to read the post and look at the pictures that relate to changing the coil. The job was still a very big "pain in the rear" to replace. After I was done the motor cranked right up and I was able to adjust the carb idle. I still don't know how the "operate/Maintenance switch " is suppose to work....But that will be for another post. Thanks all
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car