lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2017, 04:34 PM   #1
MoparDrew
Not Yet Wild

Default Adjusted the governor and rpms on lifted DS.

Hey all, I am new here but just recently found this site. I have a club car, I believe it's a DS but not exactly sure of the specific year or engine.

Here's where we stand it's got 25" tires on it and with all the governor settings factory it would run about 15 mph according to phone gps. I adjusted the governor and it got me to about 18-20 mph before it hit the rev limiter.

Disconnected the rpm limiter and it would only get to 22 or so before I didn't want to push it any higher due to increased rpms but not really speed it felt like.

From what I have read this seems kinda slow with the big tires? Could my clutch be slipping or need a new spring in it? What speed have you guys hit with the factory rev limiter still hooked up?

Thank you! and hello to all I hope to post more and some pics of an upcoming tire and wheel sway when I find some affordable 14 inch wheels.
MoparDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2017, 05:17 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Adjusted the governor and rpms on lifted DS.

With tires that big you just don't have the horse power to go much faster. I have my cart with 22 inch tires set up running at 22-23 mph. That's as fast as I want to rev the engine.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:27 PM   #3
MoparDrew
Not Yet Wild

It seems to keep pulling rpm but not speed once it gets up there, but yes it is down on power and about to get worse with bigger tires.

When you are running 22-23 mph is that with the rev limiter by passed? And I am going to get a tach to hook up and see where it is exactly.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:23 PM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

I set my governor to kick in at the same time the rev limiter did. Then unhooked the rev limiter.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:49 PM   #5
MoparDrew
Not Yet Wild

That's a good way to do it, and I know all carts are different but my rev limiter cutting out at 18 mph tells me that either my rev limiter is lower than yours or my belt is slipping or something. And my final drive is higher.

I will play with it some more and try not to window the block.��
Old 07-02-2017, 04:38 PM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

25" tires with that little FE290 just smells like nothing more or less than disaster waiting to happen, unless You start thinking "Golf Cart" and not "ATV". The little Kawasakis were meant to propel 2 average sized humans at 12mph on level groomed turf or pavement. 25's are a HUGE chunk of tire to bite off for a cart, regardless of what You may have read or what brand of cart. Yamaha's can be set up to handle that size tire with clutch, intake and exhaust, and a good belt, even EZGO pre-2008's will do it with a bunch of mods - but even those carts will not have any kind of rip-roaring takeoff, etc running on 25's, even with high-quality bolt-on mods.

That said, the CC 290's just won't really "do it", unless You are ready to make some sacrifices. Will they turn 25's, yes - and even with machined and sprung clutches, the shortest, best belt, timing advance mods, etc - they're going to do it in a way that really isn't "fun" for most people. Dropping to 22's will be a huge help, but to really be "safe" with a Club Car 290 engine You should really expect 20mph tops without risking the engine, even on 22's. That motor and drivetrain just won't handle 25's without long (or even likely short-term) damage, and in the interim is not going to be much fun to drive anyhow.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:30 PM   #7
MoparDrew
Not Yet Wild

I know this is not an ATV and I am not asking it to be one, and I know the tires are a bit large for the application and yes it does struggle a little in some aspects on very large hills but it still pulls about 10 mph on the largest one on my property that it will be going up. This cart has had 25s on it for at least 10 years and has been rode hard some but not everyday. Some kids and drunks at the racetrack have put it through its paces and it seems to be fine. I am probably going to do some work to the belt and clutch because the belt is beginning to crack. And I might get some more low end out of it. If anyone has done some of the spring, machining, shorter belt mods and liked the outcome I would love some opinions on that.

I hooked the rev limiter back up on it today and got the governor adjusted to where you can run it flat out on flat land and hit 20 mph without the rev limiter cutting it out. Also, I removed the top and going to go with a different color scheme.

I just want a golf cart that isn't miserably slow and not entirely goofy looking haha, but also don't want to blow this little tired engine. I have an old set of rhino plastics that I might try and install with a small bed, and I need to order a set of 14'' wheels to go with the 27's in the picture because the 25's are having to go back on the rhino.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JT4Ew9.jpg (130.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg fMWkOs.jpg (135.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg uvAqus.jpg (138.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg dveY3F.jpg (128.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg og0fC9.jpg (111.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-02-2017, 07:50 PM   #8
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

If the belt is cracked I would replace it with the heavy duty belt. I just don't think you would gain that much with clutch spring change. The hose power just is not there. You might want to look at putting a bigger motor in it for those wheels.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:06 PM   #9
MoparDrew
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
If the belt is cracked I would replace it with the heavy duty belt. I just don't think you would gain that much with clutch spring change. The hose power just is not there. You might want to look at putting a bigger motor in it for those wheels.
Yes I am currently looking for a parts four wheeler that I can use the motor and rear axle, but will see what its like with the wheel and tire swap first.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:21 PM   #10
DannyAbear
Gone Wild

Club Car

So it has trouble with 25" tires and you gonna change to 27"?
DannyAbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car