lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2017, 07:42 PM   #1
polaris800ho
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G2 battery drain

Hello,

I have a Yamaha G2 that is getting completely redone. Its already been lifted & has bigger tires with more to go, however I still have a battery drain problem I have yet been able to pinpoint. There is a slow draw on the battery even with the key switch turned off. It drops from 12.7 to 11.8 and so on by morning and keeps dropping. I have a brand new battery.

I have already replaced the voltage regulator & starter solenoid. I have traced the electrical system and have re-wired a lot of connections that were not done correctly from who ever had it last. I have checked after installing the voltage regulator that it is charging correctly. When the engine is running max voltage is 16.3, I'm assuming that is ok.

My next area of question is the starter generator, can this cause a slow battery drain if its bad? I'm hoping someone has had a similar problem, any input would be great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2382.jpg (216.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2384.jpg (220.6 KB, 0 views)
polaris800ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2017, 09:01 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Yamaha G2 battery drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris800ho View Post
My next area of question is the starter generator, can this cause a slow battery drain if its bad? I'm hoping someone has had a similar problem, any input would be great!
Yes. Take that S/G off and have an alternator shop check it out. Lots of weird things can happen with those. At minimum, pop the top off of it, inspect the brush wiring, and blow the whole thing out with compresed air.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:38 AM   #3
polaris800ho
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the input, I will remove and inspect, have a new one already on order so hopefully this will solve it!.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:01 PM   #4
polaris800ho
Not Yet Wild

Just replaced starter generator with new. So far have replaced starter solenoid, generator, voltage regulator and still have the same slow draw even with key turned off.

I have checked and cleaned the positive battery terminals. Brand new battery. Everything runs great, except for battery draining after a few days.

Any other thoughts on what the issue could be?
Old 08-01-2017, 10:26 PM   #5
M@_
Not Yet Wild

You should use a meter to determine the current draw and the unplug things one by one until you find the thing causing the draw. A bad battery will also self discharge.
M@_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha