lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #11
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: unstable cart while driving

Looks like a spindle lift. Not saying the attachment is the exact one you have, just to give you and idea of what the lift components are.

https://www.golfcartking.com/rhox-6-...ar-ds-2009-up/

There is nothing obvious I see to cause an unstable ride. Spindle lifts are known for not having quite the stability that an a-arm lift has. However, should be safe to ride if speed is kept down, and no quick turns or maneuvers.

Good looking cart!
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2018, 01:35 PM   #12
stephendudra
Not Yet Wild

I will get them tonight. Something tells me I have a spindle lift.....
stephendudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:57 AM   #13
stephendudra
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
Attachment 176466

Give us a view something like this, you don't have to take the wheels off.

This is the front of my cart I am building while installing a 6" lift. This is a double a-arm lift kit, as opposed to a spindle lift
Here is a better pic I hope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3D457E0D-290E-42FF-8A98-4B32F62B0518.jpg (111.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-12-2018, 09:04 AM   #14
stephendudra
Not Yet Wild

If in fact this is a spindle lift, can someone explain why one is better than the other?

Or have I already found that answer with my unstable ride? :-)

If that is the case, what is recommended? A jake lift?
Old 10-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Grab the wheel at the top from the outside and try to push/pull on it. any movement is bad. king pin, joints, wheel bearing, loose fasteners, tie rod. etc. You just have to look and see where it is coming from. Can you turn your steering wheel at all before the wheels move? Check the tie rod end, those are pretty common to wear out and lead to squirrly steering.

Spindle lift isn't "bad". Gives you increased ground clearance to fit bigger wheels/tires while retaining the factory suspension/ride. The benefits of a double A-Arm lift are that it will articulate significantly better off road and through bumps, and overall handle much better. The double A-Arm lifts are about 2-3x the price of a spindle lift.

I've got a spindle lift on my ez-go and it's perfectly fine. My club car isn't lifted (yet). other projects to get out of the way first :)

If you've got no play/movement then it's probably wheel alignment. if you could take a picture from about 10 feet out at the front of your cart, with the wheels pointing straight forward it may help.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:06 AM   #16
stephendudra
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Grab the wheel at the top from the outside and try to push/pull on it. any movement is bad. king pin, joints, wheel bearing, loose fasteners, tie rod. etc. You just have to look and see where it is coming from. Can you turn your steering wheel at all before the wheels move? Check the tie rod end, those are pretty common to wear out and lead to squirrly steering.

Spindle lift isn't "bad". Gives you increased ground clearance to fit bigger wheels/tires while retaining the factory suspension/ride. The benefits of a double A-Arm lift are that it will articulate significantly better off road and through bumps, and overall handle much better. The double A-Arm lifts are about 2-3x the price of a spindle lift.

I've got a spindle lift on my ez-go and it's perfectly fine. My club car isn't lifted (yet). other projects to get out of the way first :)

If you've got no play/movement then it's probably wheel alignment. if you could take a picture from about 10 feet out at the front of your cart, with the wheels pointing straight forward it may help.
Thanks for the advice! How does one get these aligned? I mean I wouldn't think an automotive place does this. lol

Or do they?
Old 10-12-2018, 11:15 AM   #17
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Probably not. Most of us just do it on our own with eyeballs and tape measure. If you get it in the ballpark it should be fine, you're not driving it at highway speeds like a car so a half a degree isn't going to make a big difference.

But a few pictures of the front end from a distance would be helpful. Also look for any play where the steering arm connects to the wheel, should be a ball joint looking connector there. if it has play, the alignment can be perfectly fine but the wheels actually may turn a bit left to right as you're driving down the road with no change in the steering wheel itself. My carryall does this, it's $20 for the new tie-rod end. I just haven't messed with it, and mine never leaves my farm anyway so it's not a high priority at the moment.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:44 PM   #18
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post

l

I agree, and good info cp!

As for the alignment, if you don't have experience with this type of thing, here is a link on how to adjust tie rod ends. He is showing how, on a Yamaha, but tie rod ends work the same regardless of golf cart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nicCvEPpU6M
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:05 PM   #19
stephendudra
Not Yet Wild

Awesome!!

I hope to have some time to get to this tomorrow. Between the new house, Honey do list and plans tomorrow evening, it might take a back seat.

Appreciate the tips and tricks though!!
Old 10-12-2018, 01:16 PM   #20
mckittrick.joe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephendudra View Post
Thanks for the advice! How does one get these aligned? I mean I wouldn't think an automotive place does this. lol

Or do they?
Toe in is very important.Use a curtain rod to measure between middle front of front wheels.Then put the rod at mid rear of front wheels.You should have 1/4 in.
mckittrick.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car