lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-19-2018, 09:49 AM   #21
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How to get a free cart (eventually) (long)

Meters can fail. If the battery in the meter is new and it still fails to read DCV correctly replace it. Good short how to use a multimeter on my website here > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/troubleshooting-tips.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #22
LSUgoTIGER
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Well with a little time off from the holidays, I was able to make a little progress on getting 2 of the carts cleaned up. The first cart had the battery tray completely rusted through and batteries had fallen down during delivery to me.

I still had 3 good lips for batteries to sit on (front and sides), but the center cross support, and rear cross support were both gone. I was able to take an angle grinder to the whole thing and clean all the rust off, and got down to fresh bare metal. Bought a piece of angle iron and cut it into three 22" lengths, riveted those down, and then gave everything a good coating of rustoleum paint.

The second cart, the battery tray was in much better condition, still rusty, but mainly superficial. I cleaned that all up as well, and repainted, and really gave the whole cart a good cleaning and detail. I bought a little 5amp charger and was actually able to pull together 6 of the trojans that came with the carts and get a little bit of charge into them. Enough to at least go for a little drive, up and down the street a few times, and around the block once. However after about 10 minutes of drivetime, things started slowing down a lot. Several days of charging and the charger never got to sense a full charge, and even then, they just don't last.

So it was worth a shot to try and save the batteries, but gonna pick up some duracells from Sam's today. Ordered some new 4g cables to put on as well.

Here are a few pictures all cleaned up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181228_131538.jpg (338.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20181228_131554.jpg (321.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20181228_131649.jpg (346.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20181228_131700.jpg (322.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20181228_131750.jpg (301.2 KB, 0 views)
LSUgoTIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:11 PM   #23
swm63
Gone Wild

If you get new batteries, you'd better get a real charger. 5 amps will starve your new batts. They'll need lots more amps during all the correct stages of charging.
swm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:29 PM   #24
LSUgoTIGER
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by swm63 View Post
If you get new batteries, you'd better get a real charger. 5 amps will starve your new batts. They'll need lots more amps during all the correct stages of charging.
I just got the small one to go with the cart(s) I'm flipping. $75 can go with the cart, but $250-$300 for a big charger I probably wouldn't see my money back.

The 5 amp wont hurt new batteries, just will be a lot slower right? If so, that really isn't of my concern.
I'll get a big charger for myself once I get to my cart
LSUgoTIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:08 PM   #25
rib33024

A 5 amp charger will never bring a set of cart batteries to a full charge
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:26 PM   #26
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUgoTIGER View Post
I just got the small one to go with the cart(s) I'm flipping. $75 can go with the cart, but $250-$300 for a big charger I probably wouldn't see my money back.

The 5 amp wont hurt new batteries, just will be a lot slower right? If so, that really isn't of my concern.
I'll get a big charger for myself once I get to my cart
Yes it will. It will significantly reduce their useful life. At least warn the buyer to buy a real charger.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:32 PM   #27
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hey, maybe with a decent charger on those Trojans, they might have more life in them than you think! Would save buying batts for at least one of your flip carts.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:48 AM   #28
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would think a new charger would help with selling points. Someone looking for a cart to use around the neighborhood might be more inclined to pay a little more for a cart that comes with a new charger (meant for the cart) rather than buying a cart plus buying a charger on top of that
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:00 AM   #29
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Doesn't have to be new. A used one with a used buggy should be fine.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:17 AM   #30
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Doesn't have to be new. A used one with a used buggy should be fine.
That's true too, I was just assuming he didn't get any chargers with the carts that he bought.
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO