lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #1
Rodney Hardegree
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO Marathon Issues with Reverse

I recently purchase an 80s era EzGo Marathon and replaced the controller. It runs fine in forward, but won't go in reverse. The reverse alarm works fine. When you step on the peddle while in reverse the solenoid clicks, but nothing else would happen. I jacked up the rear end and put it in reverse and pressed the peddle and it spun the tires in reverse, so I thought it had started working, but with tires on the ground it does nothing. While jacked up and running in reverse I can grab a tire with my hand and stop it from spinning, while the opposite one continues to spin.
Any help would be appreciated!
Rodney Hardegree is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2019, 04:34 PM   #2
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Marathon Issues with Reverse

Sounds like the hubs have either stripped out are the input shaft has gone bad inside the rear end housing. I have replaced one input shaft in 20+ years of working on them. But it was doing as you described.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:37 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

None of the 80s Marathon had electronic speed control so your cart has been updated or it is not from the 80s. Regardless, the early Marathons had a throttle sending potentiometer which had 2 pairs of wires. One pair went to the controller and gave a pedal position signal of 0-5000Ω. The second pair went to the reverse micro switch on the F&R. When the selector was in R the second pair was connected one wire to the other by the switch. This sent a signal to the pot which reduced the signal to the controller by 50%.
Remove one of this pair of reverse wires from the F&R. Put tape on it and test the cart. Any change?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:33 PM   #4
Rodney Hardegree
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I was told it was an '85 Marathon, but was also told a number of lies when I purchased it. Anyway, it has a Curtis 1204-009 controller. I attached some pics of the controller and potentiometer and the F/R switch. I just went out in the dark and identified the two sets of wires. There's a white and black set going to the controller and another white and black to the F/R switch box. Does it matter which one I disconnect from the F/R switch box (white or black)? Thanks again. I won't be able to test until tomorrow weather permitting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0333.jpg (194.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0336.jpg (181.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-23-2019, 09:55 AM   #5
Rodney Hardegree
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the help. Turned out to be an intermittent connectivity issue on the F/R switch. I cleaned the connectivity points and reverse now works. I sometimes have to move the switch a little for connectivity to happen on the reverse side.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:45 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If it's like mine - dunno 'bout Marathons - the FNR is mounted on a bracket that has slots where it connects to the frame, allowing you to adjust how far it rotates in both directions. I placed my FNR exactly halfway between F and R and then slid the assemble left and right until my handle was exactly in Neutral.

You also may want to tighten the center nut, to avoid a loose connection, which can result in FNR meltdown.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO