lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2019, 10:09 AM   #1
yler4cy
Gone Wild

Default 05 Precedent - Hesitation When Starting

Good Morning BGW!

I have a 2005 CC Precedent that I just picked up. It runs good, however when you press the gas in there is no sound for a few seconds and then it starts to turn over. It also starts hard. Now it has been colder up here, but why the hesitation before turning over?

Also, I noticed that if I push the gas all the way to the floor that once it starts turning over it usually won't start it, however if I push it about half way in it will start it once that hesitation stops.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
yler4cy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2019, 10:12 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 05 Precedent - Hesitation When Starting

First, do you hear a click when you first press the pedal before the "hesitation"? Need to make sure the microswitches are working and the solenoid is engaging.

Also check to make sure the battery is good and the connections are clean before digging too deep.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:20 AM   #3
yler4cy
Gone Wild

The engine compartment was really dirty so I sprayed it out. I did notice that after it sat for a few hours, I tried starting it and the solenoid was smoking a little bit. I may look to replace that. Also, I will check for the clicking sound. I couldn't hear it the other day, but I didn't hear it when it would start either.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:49 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

You want to listen to hear the solenoid click, first before we start testing anything. The smoke coming from the solenoid may be the solenoid, or it may be a corroded/poor connection at the terminal of the solenoid, or the crimp on the eyelet that bolts onto the solenoid even.

Do you know how to work a digital multi-meter if we can point you to what you need to test and what the readings should be?

Whatever you do, don't replace the solenoid with one of the cheap $20 solenoids on amazon or ebay. I tried one of those and it almost burned the cart to the ground with the way it failed, within about 2 days of installing it. But don't replace ANYTHING yet until we're able to determine exactly what has actually failed before replacing parts. Randomly throwing parts at a machine is easily the most expensive and inefficient way to repair it.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:35 PM   #5
yler4cy
Gone Wild

Yeah I can work a multi-meter.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:55 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

OK let's start with the basics.

At the solenoid there are 4 terminals. 2 large ones and 2 small ones.

One of the big ones should show 12V all the time. The other large terminal will only show 12V when the pedal is depressed (With the key on).

The small terminals, one should have continuity to ground all the time. The other small terminal will show 12V with the pedal depressed, and 0V when the pedal is released.

The small terminals are the input terminals, that energize continuity between the larger terminals to pass current to the starter/generator.

Let's start by testing the solenoid and see where we go from there. Since you said you saw smoke coming from the solenoid, at this time we will assume the pedal switches and etc. are all functioning.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:42 PM   #7
yler4cy
Gone Wild

So the big terminals are how they should be with 12v all the time to 1, and the other only shows 12 when gas is pressed. However the small are showing 12v all the time.

Also, the clutch h is barely turning when the gas is pressed intially. I just couldn't hear it with the seat on.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:58 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The clutch is turning? Or the starter/starter/generator is turning? If it's the starter/generator turning, may just be a loose or worn starter/generator belt.

If ita the clutch that turns like a 1/4 turn and stops waits a few seconds, then spins up and starts it may be the starter/generator is having a hard time turning it past the compression stroke. This may be a weak battery, connections, worn brushes in the starter/generator or even cables going between the battery and starter/generator
Old 04-29-2019, 07:10 PM   #9
yler4cy
Gone Wild

I think it is the starter/generator turning the clutch but could be wrong. It is only going like a 1/4 turn then stoping though. When it actually turns it off the get go.

Why does the solenoid have power to the 2 small post all the time?
Old 04-29-2019, 07:14 PM   #10
yler4cy
Gone Wild

Also, when the gas is pressed in, and nothing is moving it almost sounds like it is "boiling" the solenoid. If that makes sense? There is just a sound coming from that area.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car