lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2019, 01:46 AM   #21
JayWalk
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: PLEASE HELP. All hope lost. Marathon

Ok. JohnnieB,

1. I have switches from the old F&R switch and a brand new one i purchased. Are all of these switches the same? Could I use one from the old F&R switch to test on the pot? If so, I will do this this week.

2. I took pictures of the controllers. (attached) I took the new controller off tonight when I got home and found the plate. I also have the original controller, and the controller that came from my first marathon. That is attached as well. It says on the back of the new controller it should work for 36v. Could that be incorrect?

3. I have switched around both sets of wires from the pot both at the controller and on the micro on the F&R switch and get the same results throughout.

ScottieB -

1. I did notice the solenoid did get hot once while I was working on it. I have been through 3 solenoids. Is it possible to have a solenoid upside down? Every time I have this much hell with something its something small.

2.It seems that I am getting not only power, but correct power at all points through the run. which makes no since. I posted voltage results in an earlier reply. I dont think I missed anything?

3. The blue wire from PIN1 runs to the micro on the pot.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions on hot to get it fixed! It is greatly appreciated on this end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old controller.jpg (65.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg New-replacement controller.jpg (59.8 KB, 0 views)
JayWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2019, 11:53 AM   #22
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayWalk View Post
Ok. JohnnieB,

1. I have switches from the old F&R switch and a brand new one i purchased. Are all of these switches the same? Could I use one from the old F&R switch to test on the pot? If so, I will do this this week.

2. I took pictures of the controllers. (attached) I took the new controller off tonight when I got home and found the plate. I also have the original controller, and the controller that came from my first marathon. That is attached as well. It says on the back of the new controller it should work for 36v. Could that be incorrect?

3. I have switched around both sets of wires from the pot both at the controller and on the micro on the F&R switch and get the same results throughout.

-----------------
1. I'm not sure if the pedal switch and the microswitches on the F/R are the same or not. However, if they fit they probably should work.

2. It does say 36V, so it ought to work with a 36V battery pack.

3. Disconnect the wires on J2 and J3 at the controller and measure between the loose wires with an Ohmmeter. When F/R is in F and the pedal is up, you ought to measure about 0Ω and with pedal slowly pushed to floor the Ohmic measurement ought to smoothly increase to about 5,000Ω.

If the Ohmic value with pedal up is greater than 50Ω, the HPD feature will be triggered and the controller won't pass amps to the motor.

If the Ohmic value reaches 7,500Ω at any time, the open pot (runaway) safety will trigger and the controller will not pass amps to the motor.

-----------
The solenoid not de-energizing when you take your foot off the pedal is a major safety issue and ought to be fixed post-haste, but the cart will run with that serious safety defect. It just might not stop when you want it to.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:26 PM   #23
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

I did not realize that Curtis was manufacturing controllers in China ... but then I had a look at this (https://www.curtisinstruments.com/?v=china) and I now realize that Curtis is manufacturing in China.

It was not too long ago, that knock-off Curtis Controllers were coming out of China. Their price was cheap, their quality was dubious and eBay was filled with them.

I hope that the controller that you purchased is the of the Curtis quality and not a knock-off.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:38 PM   #24
JayWalk
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the additional replies guys....

I am a plant manager by trade and have visitors in from Russia the next few days. Johnnie B I will run the ohm test either tonight or tomorrow and post the results ASAP.

ThreeCW - You are absolutely correct. When looking to purchase a new controller I did hours of research, including this forum. I didn't want any overkill due to my dad will not use this cart on a regular basis so I decided to use a domestic vendor verses Ebay. As soon as i entered my paypal info.....I said "F***, I shouldof got the altrax!"

Updates to come ASAP....Thanks all,
Old 05-15-2019, 09:07 PM   #25
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Will be waiting for your updates.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:24 AM   #26
JayWalk
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes Sir!!

I took off tomorrow so I will he hard and heavy on this over the next three days. Starting about 7 pm tonight. I did the the battery cutoff switch yesterday and I did get a better meter (Klein). Today in the mail, I should be receiving 2 additional micro-switches and solenoid number 4!
Old 05-17-2019, 08:17 PM   #27
JayWalk
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Good evening gents.

The last work i did on the cart was pulling the controller to check the plate information. The next step was to check my ohm range from the pot. So today, I got the controller mounted and all of the wires hooked back up. Before checking the ohms I decided to to check my voltage to make sure all was installed correctly.

I was checking voltage on the controller and noticed volts were low. Extremely low! So I went back to check the main battery pack and I was only getting 15.6 volts. I then checked all batteries individually and all showed around 6.5v except for one which was about 3.8v

As of now, I have uninstalled that battery and have it charging by itself. I will check it in a few hours and see if it has made and progress. If not, out to get another battery in the morning.

I have no idea how this happened. sorry for no better news
Old 05-17-2019, 08:24 PM   #28
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

You say you replaced the batteries. Are they new?
Old 05-17-2019, 11:28 PM   #29
JayWalk
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes. Sticker date of 3/19. Should be able to exchange.

Battery charging solo only reading 5.2v
Old 05-17-2019, 11:31 PM   #30
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayWalk View Post
Yes. Sticker date of 3/19. Should be able to exchange.

Battery charging solo only reading 5.2v

Tags
marathon, microswitch, pot, solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO