lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2019, 11:21 AM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 2003 DS series motor lacks power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizbgolf View Post
If it is a stock series motor then it doesn't sound like the motor is bad 12-13 mph on a flat and 7-9 mph on a hill is normal. Check the microswitch on the reverse lever and make sure that it is making good contact when in reverse. Sometimes if the microswitch isn't fully making it will lurch like you described. If you want more speed or hill climbing you will have to get another motor. I put the Plumquick bandit in my 03 series DS and could cruise at 20-22 mph on stock controller on flat and 15-17mph on a fairly good hill.

What he said. Series carts are notoriously slow, especially going up hill. They're a real workhorse, and definitely won't let down. But won't be going anywhere real fast without some upgrades either. I had a carryall 2 48V I thought something was wrong with it, flat hard ground it would do around 12-13mph, but driving up even a not huge hill would quickly drop to around 7mph. Then once you get to the top pick right back up again.

My 48V series DS would do around 30mph on flat pavement. But on a decent hill, it would drop down to around 20mph until you got to the top.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2019, 11:51 AM   #12
acurti24
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys. I am still going to check everything out to make sure things are working right. Like I said this is for my father in law who had a stroke and can not get around so I want to make sure it will not die on him half way up a hill. I started researching the motor upgrades. If everything is working right then I may upgrade all the cables then look into the motor overhaul. Going to check the MCOR readings tonight.
acurti24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:09 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I'd recommend hooking up a meter to the main pack + and - and watch the voltage readings as you drive it around. Stock setup, (based on what I remember seeing with my carryall that was completely stock) full charge is around 51V. While driving, no load cruising on flat pavement it would hover in the mid/high 49's. Going up a hill, even though very slowly, seeming like it was really struggling hard, it still wouldn't even dip below 48V.

Keep in mind, if you replaced the battery pack, it's going to take some drive and charge cycles to break the pack in. Your voltages and range may not be quite as good now as it will be once the pack has broken in.

AS long as your voltage readings aren't out of whack, and you can't feel anything getting hot, it's probably just working like it's supposed to. It won't be leaving anyone stranded, but won't be getting anywhere in a hurry either

Upgrading motor, controller, solenoid gets expensive fast. And you never really will reach the full potential of it unless pretty much everything is upgraded, just something to keep in mind as well.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #14
acurti24
Not Yet Wild

Thanks CP421. I am only on my second battery charge since the new batts were installed. I was pulling about 47 volts on my DVOM up the hill and about 49 on flat ground, but like you said the batteries need to break in. The hot feed to the solenoid was a little warm after a drive, but not hot.
acurti24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #15
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurti24 View Post
I am only on my second battery charge since the new batts were installed.
Be sure to read this....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Battery Guide.pdf (45.4 KB, 0 views)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:52 PM   #16
DJDraco
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Yes, make sure you break them in properly. Run the pack down to 50% before charging. Do that about 12 times. I’m in the process my self right now. You spend all that money on heavy lead, you’ll want them to last as long as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DJDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:44 AM   #17
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Run the pack down to 50% before charging
This is a completely wrong interpretation of what to do! DO NOT run-them-down (to any particular level) before charging. That could shorten their overall life. Instead - charge them AFTER EVERY USE no matter how slight! Although it may be "safe" to run them down to 50% - it is not necessary, and is not really good for them! The higher the remaining charge in your batteries, the happier they are!
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:50 AM   #18
DJDraco
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
This is a completely wrong interpretation of what to do! DO NOT run-them-down (to any particular level) before charging. That could shorten their overall life. Instead - charge them AFTER EVERY USE no matter how slight! Although it may be "safe" to run them down to 50% - it is not necessary, and is not really good for them! The higher the remaining charge in your batteries, the happier they are!

That’s opposite of everything I’ve read on this forum. Including the Battery pdf that gets cycled around here all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DJDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:29 AM   #19
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDraco View Post
That’s opposite of everything I’ve read on this forum. Including the Battery pdf that gets cycled around here all the time.
If you go down to ~50/60% SOC and then recharge, that is the fastest and best way to season the plates. If you just run it down a few percent, it will take a long time to fully season your plates, but will work.

What no one should do is run batteries down and then let them sit for any long period without recharging as that will create sulfation and shorten the life of the pack.

I broke mine in the same way every time and got 8/9 (almost 10) years out of packs used in the home cart. Now I attribute that to breaking them in correctly, good battery maintenance, and charging the cart after every use so the pack was always charged and never sat low. If my cart is not in use, it is plugged in. All of my carts are stored that way in various locations.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:40 AM   #20
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think the most important part that was not mentioned is the "rate of discharge" is what needs to be moderate until the batteries are fully formed.

If your daily driving routine does not discharge the batteries to 40% or 50% it is fine, there is no point in wearing out the batteries trying to achieve that level of discharge.

The formatting process will still take place with each discharge/charge cycle since it is a chemical reaction.

Just take it easy for the first times You use the cart (no heavy loads) with new batteries and just charge them at the end of the day.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car