lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2019, 11:43 AM   #1
buggieman.eric
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default ISO Subaru EX40 Club Car Precedent Throttle Body in Mississippi

Just as the subject says.

I have a 2017 Club Car Precedent with EX40 fuel injected engine.

Searching for the complete throttle body assembly.

Located in MS.

Thanks in advance!
buggieman.eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2019, 03:23 PM   #2
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: ISO Subaru EX40 Club Car Precedent Throttle Body in Mississippi

All I can tell you is the part is $1600 according to Club Car dealers (we have a Carryall with that engine with a bad one/ECU) and from what little I found here about the EX40, it was made for three years and there's a lot of people claiming it eats ECUs/Throttle bodies and is expensive to get parts for. Typical Subaru for you, my first car was a Subaru XT and it was junk junk junk.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:36 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Subaru didn't make the EFI system.
The engines are near bulletproof, but there is something about small engine EFI systems that just doesn't hold up. And they don't make them to be user servicable, or programmable, not even at the dealer.
According to Club Car you can't replace one part, because the ECU, Throttle body, and Fuel injector are matched at the factory, and none of them can be swapped with other parts or the set will not be calibrated properly. I've been looking into other solutions for if/when ours bites the dust.

Kawasaki had similar problems with their EFI systems on the Mule.
Suzuki and others suffer the same problems.
I've read recently about Kohler having some issues with their EFI systems as well, so we'll see how those hold up in the new Club Car engines.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #4
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

I meant when it comes to anything Subaru in my experience, parts are always super high prices. My XT6 took $2000 just to get a fuel pump, mass air flow sensor and transmission computer.

The guy in my case decided to go the Predator engine route and EOL the Subaru EFI garbage. he wasn't paying $2000+ for parts when he could fix the cart with a $90 engine from harbor freight
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:00 PM   #5
stk3171
Not Yet Wild

has anyone tried installing a carb on this eng ?
stk3171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:24 PM   #6
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Ok, Ill bite..…..Why?
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:11 PM   #7
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Subaru didn't make the EFI system.
The engines are near bulletproof, but there is something about small engine EFI systems that just doesn't hold up. And they don't make them to be user servicable, or programmable, not even at the dealer.
According to Club Car you can't replace one part, because the ECU, Throttle body, and Fuel injector are matched at the factory, and none of them can be swapped with other parts or the set will not be calibrated properly. I've been looking into other solutions for if/when ours bites the dust.

Kawasaki had similar problems with their EFI systems on the Mule.
Suzuki and others suffer the same problems.
I've read recently about Kohler having some issues with their EFI systems as well, so we'll see how those hold up in the new Club Car engines.
I recently went through a class with both engines, I can tell you I wouldn't own anything with that Subaru engine. The fact that all those parts have to replaced at one time it total BS and just a bad design. Im sure when new they are fine but just the thought of a design like this is a total turn off.
I thought I was told that Subaru sold these engine off to Suzuki? but I could be wrong or fed bad info.

The Kohler engine, while still new seems like its going to be a good setup. Its amazing to me that they are injecting engines this small and that they require diag software like cars. Briggs is doin this as well. My push mower will be injected before I know it. Again I was impressed with the Briggs design.

The mules, atleast the ones we have at work seem to chew up throttle bodies. I cant count how many we have had replaced under warranty. A few have had the ECU replaced as well but TB's seem to be the common issue. Another crap design and another cart I wouldnt own if given for free.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:13 PM   #8
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by stk3171 View Post
has anyone tried installing a carb on this eng ?
not without redesigning the whole fuel and ignition system. Sure it could be done but I doubt easily.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:55 PM   #9
FloridaCart
Getting Wild
Club Car

I've had great service out of all my Subaru's with NO ECU failures or any other EFI related issues. And they are by far more powerful of any of the other gas carts. I haven't gotten my hands on a EFI Kohler yet but I'm sure I will soon.
FloridaCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:46 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
not without redesigning the whole fuel and ignition system. Sure it could be done but I doubt easily.
I’m not positive but I don’t think it would be all the difficult. The only hang-ups I can see would be finding a carb that fits and has the correct bore size, or making some kind of adapter so a standard EX40 carb can be mounted. And possibly swapping the ignition coil for the standard coil like the carbed ex40 uses.
The ECM on the EFI models can adjust the ignition timing which might mean it uses a different coil, but even so, it’s still a magneto coil.

The only other major hurdle would be wiring, and replacing the fuel pump with a low pressure version.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car