lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2019, 10:41 AM   #1
Acausing
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 2010 YDRE, bad solenoid or controller?

Hello Everyone, Newbie here. Bought my first electric cart 2010 YDRE to compliment my gas one 2000 G16A. YDRE was a retired fleet cart from a local golf course. It is completely stock wheels, suspension, controller, motor etc.. It has 4 Trojan 1275’s. It worked fine for the first month and recently developed a problem that was intermittent and now seems permanent. It does not want to RUN!!.
Here is a quick sequence of events. Last week went to drive it and moved the tow switch to run and heard the solenoid “click” but was a little louder than normal, almost a bit of an arcing sound. Turned the key on switched it to reverse and it was fine. A couple days later went to use it again but this time it didn’t move. I switched it to reverse and the buzzer sounded like it had a bad connection or was losing power. Cycled the key and it was fine. Next day went to use it and nothing, let it sit for about an hour went back out and reverse buzzer worked so turned the key on heard a click with a small “arc” sound again. Doesnt click or even move

Today I started to diagnose the problem but my knowledge of electric carts is limited. I thought I narrowed it down to either the solenoid or controller but would appreciate any input on how to isolate the problem.
With the switch on “tow” used a multimeter and tested pack voltage and had 50.4v, tested Voltage on battery Side of the controller 50.4v, controller side of solenoid was 0. Moved the switch to run and retested both sides of the solenoid now only reading 15.0-15.4v which now leaves me stumped. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
Acausing is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
Kerusm
Getting Wild

Default Re: 2010 YDRE, bad solenoid or controller?

Jack the rear end up to get weight off and see if it does anything. The stock Hitachi motor is known to fail.
Kerusm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:34 PM   #3
Acausing
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Okay so I tried jacking up the rear and nothing happens. Open to any other suggestions. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2019, 10:37 PM   #4
TXWELDER
Gone Wild

Do you have good signal from the controller to the solenoid? One is + and one is -. With a dvm on the hot side and ground to main pack neg when you push the pedal you should get voltage. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong.
TXWELDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:02 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Not on Sepex Yamahas. The solenoid signal wires get positive whenever the tow/run switch is on. The negative is provided by the controller whenever it thinks the solenoid should be on.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:10 PM   #6
TXWELDER
Gone Wild

See, learning is constant.
TXWELDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:00 PM   #7
Acausing
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Is it normal to have the voltage drop down to 15v on both sides of the solenoid when the tow switch is moved to the run position?

Old 07-25-2019, 03:54 AM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

That's a big problem.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:07 PM   #9
Acausing
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
That's a big problem.

Cgtech, I was hoping it was a bad solenoid but starting to suspect otherwise. my neighbor has the same cart I could borrow parts off of but dont want to just start swapping parts and risk burning them out or frying a circuit board. Thoughts?

Old 07-26-2019, 09:37 PM   #10
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

We just fixed a gas car with a similar voltage drop at the solenoid (was 3.0-2.8 volts at the solenoid with pedal down, but battery was a good 12.7 volts) it ended up being a bad or leaky pedal group microswitch. A good test is to jack rear wheels off ground, remove floor mat, unplug the switch, and with car in RUN, and multimeter set to volts, at small terminals at the solenoid, jump the connection that is on the harness side of the microswitch, and it should read normal. if it drops again with switch reconnected you have a leaky switch.

Some early YDREs have what are known as 'Moric' controllers, which oddly enough for their year, used an ancient Palm Pilot to talk to the controller to program speed or diagnose faults. These tend to fail oftentimes randomly or completely. the fault will show multiple instances of 'field short circuit trip' but motor will ohm out normal. the rebuilt ones from FSIP don't talk to the Palm Pilot to diagnose future faults but tend to be far more reliable and seem to be programmed for 18 MPH.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha