lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2019, 12:03 PM   #1
aghead
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 12v battery is spilling over

My battery continues spilling acid out, has been for a month. I continue to spray area with soda mix and rinse well. It is showing reaction with the alum trim outside floorboard.
The acid level is right above the lead cells, maybe a 1/2".
Battery sits at 12v, charges at 14.6 v at full throttle.
If cells were overfilled I think it would have leaked enough by now to stop.
Its a new 625 cca battery.
aghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 12v battery is spilling over

Really not normal for a 12v to leak acid. Trace amounts of moisture around the vent caps can be considered normal, but most of the time these should stay totally dry.

What brand battery is it? Where did you get it?
Whats the exact rest voltage after sitting for a few hours? On a brand new battery it should be no less than 12.6. If it's lower, the battery is bad.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:20 PM   #3
aghead
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The battery was 12.4 to 12.6v at rest (I stated 12v above)
It is a "Pro Series" automotive batt., distributed by Shumakers.(?)
I assume the Golf cart dealer installed it. CC was a trade in that I purchased 6 mos back.
In the past, it has sat for 3 weeks w/o starting and cranks instantly. No other batt issues save the leakage at the fill caps. I'm not on uneven ground excessively.
I may suck some liquid out.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:00 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

It's not a deep cycle battery is it? Shouldn't be since they don't normally rate deep cycle in CCA.
Has the weather there been excessively humid or wet in the last month?

I wouldn't remove any water from the cells because that can affect the specific gravity of the electrolyte, but you can try removing the caps and rinsing them out very well with fresh water. Then let them air dry out in the sun for an hour or so and make sure there is no water trapped in the vent ports in the cap. Re-install and see if the problem continues.

Sometimes if the caps get liquid from the battery in them it creates a siphon type effect where any liquid in the battery that evaporates gets into the cap and condenses back to liquid rather than just escaping as vapor.

Another thing to consider may be power consumption while the cart is in operation. 625cca is a large battery for these carts, and even though the S/G voltage output is normal, it may be having to produce higher amp output to keep up with draw on the battery. Does the cart have a lot of accessories that need power?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:28 PM   #5
aghead
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Not deep cycle. No accessories. I mistated. It is 500 cca, 625 ca.

I like the idea of rinsing and drying caps. I already used paper towels to sop any excess acid around the caps.
The caps are recessed into the top of battery. There is a groove to allow for runoff but liquid still stands around caps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1942.JPG (20.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #6
aintgotthis
Not Yet Wild

Are you sure the S/G is not overcharging? If you get a nauseous sulfur smell, the voltage regulator is cooked.
aintgotthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:03 PM   #7
aghead
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotthis View Post
Are you sure the S/G is not overcharging? If you get a nauseous sulfur smell, the voltage regulator is cooked.
14.6v wide open. I can attemt to put meter on it and cruise around and watch it maybe
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car