lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2020, 12:00 PM   #1
Fixitkc
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default 1968 Harley D Primary Clutch Rebuild Questions

Got my cart free from a friend so I have no idea of its history. Got it all running but the clutch would leak on the drive belt when I put any grease in it. Took it apart and found a later model clutch with weights instead of balls. Only two pieces of one brass drive pin bushing were left in the grease. The spring clips were there but none of the balls that retain the bushings. Got a new seal kit and bushings. The new bushings have no holes in the side. I see nothing that would keep the bushings from sliding out of the drive cup. How do I make sure the bushings stay in the cup? My one thought was to drill a hole in the side of the new bushing, find an appropriately sized ball bearing and retain that with the spring clip. Is that the way that's supposed to work?
Fixitkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2020, 11:15 PM   #2
jamesq24
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1968 Harley D Primary Clutch Rebuild Questions

this is probably a dumb question but everywhere is see 12 oz 90 wt for the clutch but where do you fill it at, cant find a valve thingy, a pic would be awesome.
jamesq24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:31 PM   #3
Scooter_Trash
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

The service manual is invaluable for a machine like this. I've attached a shot from the 1971 manual.

Fixitkc,
Once installed, the new drive pin bushings should be drilled to match the existing buffer ball hole in the drive cup. I've not personally replaced one of these bushings, but I'd imagine its a light press fit; friction holds it in place. The buffer balls and spring clips add tension to the drive pins.

jamesq24,
Note number 27 next to the drive cup cover. This is the rubber filler plug (the valve thingy you're looking for) to add your 12 OZ of oil. I personally use SAE 40 motor oil (not 90w gear oil)

IMG_1999.JPG
Scooter_Trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:23 PM   #4
Fixitkc
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Thanks for the reply. I do have the service manual but it didn't help a lot. It appears that the clutch is a much later model and looks like it may have been put together from parts. I drilled holes in the side of the brass bushings and got some stainless steel ball bearings to work with the spring clips to keep the bushings in place. Been running it for several weeks and it seems to be doing great.
Fixitkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson