lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2020, 01:58 PM   #21
ooshnoo
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2000 Club Cart DS won't crank...wont do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
That's if you do it yourself.
Brushes are about $40, bearings are maybe another $30. That's if it even needs bearings. Most of the time the bearings are fine and new brushes will get it going again.
ok.. so I may have spoke too soon. I took out the S/G and remove the rubber thingies covering the bushings and out of one of them, some pieces fell out. See attached pics. Time for a new starter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4311.jpg (234.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4314.jpg (196.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4313.jpg (216.8 KB, 0 views)
ooshnoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2020, 08:52 PM   #22
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

Ouch!
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:07 PM   #23
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

That would be time for a new one.
That's overheating damage due to a stalled armature, or a shorted winding in the armature. Really don't see that very often with these.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:32 PM   #24
ooshnoo
Not Yet Wild

Is there something I can do to prevent that from happening with the new starter generator?
Old 06-12-2020, 02:02 PM   #25
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Only two reasons really that would happen. Either the engine is seized and someone is trying to start it and the starter could not physically turn. Or the battery is or was very weak and the starter could not turn the motor over. If power is continuously applied to the armature when it's in a stalled condition the windings in the armature are very low resistance can will allow several hundred amps of current flow through them. That means the brushes, the commutator and the armature windings will all get very hot in a short period of time as a large amount of current is moving through them. Since the brush to commutator connection is usually the highest resistance point that usually means the commutator will melt first.

The best you can do is make sure you have a good battery. If its not brand new, then get a new one for good measure. Make sure all of the battery cable connections are clean and tight, as well as connections on the solenoid, the starter generator, and the Chassis ground cable.
And make sure the motor is not locked up. Pretty easy to tell that one.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:00 PM   #26
ooshnoo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Only two reasons really that would happen. Either the engine is seized and someone is trying to start it and the starter could not physically turn. Or the battery is or was very weak and the starter could not turn the motor over. If power is continuously applied to the armature when it's in a stalled condition the windings in the armature are very low resistance can will allow several hundred amps of current flow through them. That means the brushes, the commutator and the armature windings will all get very hot in a short period of time as a large amount of current is moving through them. Since the brush to commutator connection is usually the highest resistance point that usually means the commutator will melt first.

The best you can do is make sure you have a good battery. If its not brand new, then get a new one for good measure. Make sure all of the battery cable connections are clean and tight, as well as connections on the solenoid, the starter generator, and the Chassis ground cable.
And make sure the motor is not locked up. Pretty easy to tell that one.
Thanks man. I ordered a new starter generator from my local club car dealer as I didn’t want to deal with the possible hassle of an aftermarket one. Costing $400! And will pick up a new battery as well
Old 06-18-2020, 01:13 PM   #27
ooshnoo
Not Yet Wild

OK, so update!!!
Got the new starter generator installed along with a new battery and voltage regulator, and boom! It works!!!

Well it worked for 10 minutes, and then quit. So i pushed it back to the house and realized the new solenoid I bought wasn't clicking. So I put the old one back in and boom! it works again!

I thought I was doing myself a favor by installing a new solenoid..even though the old one still worked. I thought after 20 years it wouldn't hurt, but I was wrong.

Regardless, we're back in business here and my son is happy, so thank you again...everyone for all your help. We really appreciate it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car