lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-30-2022, 09:37 AM   #1
ImplantLabTech
Getting Wild

Default Is it possible..

After rebuilding the suspension by replacing all bushings and shocks is it possible that when tightening things down you can over tighten the bolts going through the bushings to actually clamp the a-arm too tight to restrict movement? Is there a torque spec other than the german good-n-tite?

With these cheap azz rubber bushings and no zerks there really isn't any way to lube them and not sure if the grease would actually break them down anyhow???

Just frustrated the suspension seems so harsh after this and assuming I jacked something up somewhere.
ImplantLabTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-30-2022, 09:59 AM   #2
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Is it possible..

The steel sleeve the bolt go through is the actual bearing point, and the bolt needs only be tight enough to keep it from moving when the arms move. It also keeps the bolt from bending the mounting ears inwards.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 04:19 PM   #3
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

As Dundee said, make sure the bolts are all backed off a bit from tight, maybe 1/4 turn.

If you don't have fiber locking nuts on the bolts, now is a good time to get them. This will prevent them from spinning off when they shouldn't.

Your bushings, sleeves and bolts need to be free moving or your ride will suffer as you described.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 05:49 PM   #4
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Maybe I was unclear. The bolts should hold the sleeves TIGHT on the frame brackets and not allow them to move. The arms and rubber bushings should flex and turn if need be, on the sleeve. Leaving everything loose WILL wear out the ends of the sleeves, the frame bracket mounting ears, bolts and holes in VERY short order.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:23 PM   #5
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

I spoke out of my own experience instead of reality. When I installed all of my bushings, the crowns on them were 1/8" higher than the originals. I'm not sure why, but probably Amazon junk.

When I tightened them down, the bushings actually squeezed the leaf to where there was no play. That is why I loosened them to provide some play.

When I put it all together, the bushings would not slide into the frame brackets even after I sanded the crowns down a bit. The sleeve was 3/16" shorter than the bushing crown to bushing crown.

This spring, I will probably get OEM bushings and redo it. But it does ride so smooth now! Maybe I can tighten them down now.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:13 PM   #6
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Spring bushings don't move as much as A arm bushings as the OP stated was the issue. There should almost be enough rotational flex in the rubbers themselves that they don't need to rotate on the sleeve.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:26 PM   #7
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
Spring bushings don't move as much as A arm bushings as the OP stated was the issue. There should almost be enough rotational flex in the rubbers themselves that they don't need to rotate on the sleeve.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car