lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
ssc351
Not Yet Wild

Default 99 EZ GO TXT get me to 35-37mph

Hey Guys,

Going to buy my first golf cart tomorrow! Holla! This site is awesome...love the wheelie pics. Anyway, I am picking up my golf cart tomorrow, its a 99 EZ GO TXT. I have set aside plenty of money to do all the upgrades needed. My plan is to do a 4-6" lift, put on 22" tires (maybe larger?) and make it go 35-37 mph...the speed is the most important part. From all the reading on the site, it looks like a lot of people would do a 48 volt conversion with an upgraded controller...but do i need more? Do I need a 72 volt system?

Here is my "ideal use"...going to be driven on the street so will also have lights

-Needs to be 37mph or so top speed with just me in the cart, hopefully, around 32 with some one else on board.
-Needs to go 20 miles on 1 charge
-very slightly hilly Streets...(maybe go up 1 or 2 300-500 foot hills; very slight incline)

Am I asking to much? What combo would you guys recommend with this?...and don't say a gas motor...the whole point is to not pay for gas :)
ssc351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 99 EZ GO TXT get me to 35-37mph

Welcome to BGW......WoW. I tried not to reply Twice but, here's my take on this...don't take it wrong
The cart you are buying is 10 yrs old. It was designed to go about 12-14mph. You want it to go nearly 40mph for 20 miles. I'm not saying it can't be done. But I will say you could take a taxi a hell of a lot cheaper.....everyday for a long time to equal the amount of cash it is going to take to do this... I think you are going to need to convert to 72v AC to achieve this. Then you are going to need to convert to 4 wheel disc brakes to stop it with any shred of reliability and safety......you may have set your goals a little high. you might want to rethink it. The gas cart would be cheaper in my opinion. Food for thought..... lets see what others think?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:06 AM   #3
ruredy
Born Wild

Is the 20 miles all downhill?
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:53 AM   #4
mikeshotrodshop
Gone Wild

A high speed motor and gears will get you 30+ MPH. However, 20 miles is a stretch at full throttle. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress...
mikeshotrodshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:01 AM   #5
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc351 View Post
Here is my "ideal use"...going to be driven on the street so will also have lights
-Needs to be 37mph or so top speed with just me in the cart, hopefully, around 32 with some one else on board.
-Needs to go 20 miles on 1 charge
Am I asking to much? What combo would you guys recommend with this?...and don't say a gas motor...the whole point is to not pay for gas :)
I'm not sure where you live but the restrictions placed on NEV's are usually for a reason, safety. They restrict these types of carts to about 25mph because they don't have all the safety features that a normal car has. Not to say you can't go a little faster in a fairly safe manner but consider when you add a lift kit, you are messing with the center of gravity, change the geometry of the steering system and increase the possibility loss of control or even rollover.
Have you driven a cart that goes 40mph? My cart runs about 21mph on stock suspension and I have to tell you that I think pushing it to go any faster than 30 would make this a dicey ride.
Like ScottyB said above, "The cart you are buying is 10 yrs old. It was designed to go about 12-14mph. You want it to go nearly 40mph for 20 miles." That is over 3 times it's designed parameter, which IMHO is too much of a push.
20 miles on a charge is certainly doable but is right at the max with perfect batteries.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
ssc351
Not Yet Wild

ok maybe i should clarify a bit...where i live the cart will be averaging 20-25 mph...but there are a couple flat spots where it would be sweet if it could go about 35. It would also be sweet if I had 1 or 2 people on it to still go 25mph in those "commonly traveled" areas.

No i've never driven a 40mph cart but have been in one going 30. I guess that is why i am posting...are my goals to lofty? If they are, what goals do you suggest...but more importantly how do I get there? What motor? What controller? What batteries? etc.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
gulffer1
Gone Wild

Welcome! You have any pics?
gulffer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

YOU are going to need a beafed up front and rear suspension, a different differential ratio, HUGE tires and wheels that are HIGHWAY RATED, 72 volts and up, largest motor available, a very GOOD RELATION WITH SOME ONE FROM ABOVE, Major ROLL BARS, SEAT BELTS and CRASH HELMET, and LOTS OF INSURANCE???
I used to go 150 mph on a cycle BUT A GOLF CART AT 35-40 MPH NOT THIS KID????
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
ssc351
Not Yet Wild

Update:

Just went and got the cart...it is actually a DCS cart. I bought it anyway, because I got what I thought was a smoking deal at $750 w/charger (am I wrong?).

So...should I get rid of this thing and get a txt or will a DCS work with major upgrades?
Old 06-25-2009, 10:32 PM   #10
BlackHornet
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

well i just went 34mph in a cart and all it had was an AC motor and controller, and 20 inch tires. with highspeed gears it wouldve gone 40 im sure....it was only 48v. so the speed youre wanting is possible and yes it will be pricey but as far as the range goes, im not too sure because thats a lot of pedal down time
BlackHornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO