lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
mobilefleet
Not Yet Wild

Default Melex 252 brake problems (pics)

guys I had to beat the crap out of my drums to remove them from my Melex today, and resorted to cutting the drum off. I just found out by research, unless the info is wrong, that a 252 model was created starting in 85 but I could not figure out what year beyond that mine was until I saw that melex invented the solid state speed control in 1986, an upgrade from resistors that carts had been using up till then. Since my cart has a resistor, it could only be an 85 model. Loks like the brakes had never been touched, and I assumed that the drums were floating type that would just pull off once you remove the wheel. I was wrong. Tried slide hammer, heat with torch, numerous hits with sledge. Didn't budge. Cut it open and it looks like the bearings seized to the hub, and since they are inside the drum it would not come off. Now all i gotta do is find complete rear brakes with hub/axle/backing plate and drum. Don't know where to look. The cart is a hooptie but at 200 bucks I will keep it going if I can. The axle came out with a couple of whacks on the back of the backing plate, but I think there is a clip on the drum side, right? I don't think the diff. has an internal clip holding these things in.

mobilefleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2017, 07:46 AM   #2
RobatMetro
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Melex 252 brake problems (pics)

I was wondering if you ever got this fixed.
RobatMetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:14 AM   #3
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Melex 252 brake problems (pics)

I hope so. Its been nine years!
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts