lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2011, 09:32 AM   #11
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 84 marathon wont start

if you're not getting 12v to the other post when you press the pedal, then there are 2 possibilities, #1 either there is a problem with your key or accel switch (which we should have eliminated above) or the next possibility, which is a bad solenoid. (keep in mind you'll only get the voltage to the second post when the pedal is depressed though)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #12
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I know I said take it away BCM but things are slack here and I am bored so here is more $.02.

It might look like you have a bad solenoid (and you probably have) but we should see if it is being called before you condemn it. To do this connect your meter across the two small terminals of the solenoid. Turn on the key, you should see no voltage. Now depress the accelerator pedal and you should see 12 volts. If you do then your solenoid is shot, of not then we need to look at the throttle microswitch and the key switch.

If you need to replace the solenoid you should get the correct part. A starter solenoid for an automobile is a tempting cheap fix however they are not designed to be constantly energized and will soon fail causing you to weep bitter tears of rage and frustration.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #13
sheffs
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

i just want to be perfectly clear i turn the key on and put my meter on both small post i get no reading then when i step on the pedel i get a reading of
12v so my solenoid is good is this correct??

thanks
sheffs
sheffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #14
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

No that is not correct. If you step on the accelerator and you see 12 volts across the small posts then the voltage is being supplied correctly. Now forget the little terminals and discuss only the big terminals. One side of the solenoid should have 12 volts always on it and when the solenoid is activated the other side should as well and this is what causes the engine to crank. You can imagine those big terminals as being a light switch, instead of turning it on with your finger you do it with the 12 volts on the small terminals. Now I expect that I have just muddied the waters here so allow me to break it down into small steps.

Connect meter across the two little terminals, turn on the key and press the throttle, you see 12 volts, yes?

Now connect the negative side of the meter to the battery negative and the positive to any big terminal, if you see 12 volts move the probe to the other large terminal and you should see zero. Now turn on the key and press the throttle. You should see 12 volts and I think that you are saying that you do not.

So in this case you are applying 12 volts to the small terminals but the solenoid fails to react so it would appear to be defective.

If you wanted to test it further you could get a screwdriver or metal bar and short out the two big terminals. The engine should now crank.

I hope this clarifies the situation

Dave
Old 08-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #15
sheffs
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

can anyone tell me hoew to test the accelerator microswitch and is this the switch that i hear click when you press on the gas???

thanks
sheffs
Old 08-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #16
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Connect the negative of your meter to the negative of your battery. Connect the positive to the side of the microswitch that goes to the key and turn the key on you should see 12 volts. Now connect to the other side and with the key still on depress the accelerator pedal. You should now see 12 volts, if not the switch is defective.

However......

1. If you have already seen the 12 volts switching on the small solenoid terminal as I detailed in post #14 your microswitch is working.

2. The microswitch is very quiet so if you are hearing a click it could be the solenoid. It is (very) likely that the solenoid is firing but is not making contact due to corrosion. Turn on the key and grab hold of the solenoid, press the throttle with your other hand if you feel the solenoid twitch then it is probable that it is corroded. You could try tapping it lightly with a hammer but it is probable that you need a new one.

Dave
Old 08-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #17
sheffs
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

were is this microswitch located and what does it look like??

thanks
sheffs
Old 08-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #18
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

It is under the seat under the driver. Look at the rod connected to the accelerator it is right by where the rod actuates the cable. Before you check the microswitch did you answer the question I posted earlier?

Connect meter across the two little terminals, turn on the key and press the throttle, you see 12 volts, yes?

Dave
Old 08-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #19
sheffs
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

sorry i though i answered that yes i do see 12 volts
Old 08-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #20
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

So your microswitch is good, no need to mess with it.

Dave
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO