lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #21
ml41887
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EZGO ST 4x4 - Optional High Output Alternator

Did increasing your idle speed affect shifting at all?
ml41887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #22
gemmechanic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The centrifugal clutch catches at a high enough rpm that shifting and creeping were not a problem. Part of the problem is that the engine is out of tune. This thing has always been hard to start, even in hot weather.

Daniel
gemmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #23
theghoul
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemmechanic View Post
We got the alternator installed and it really makes a difference. Dealer told us there are only three more of the PTO shaft left and no plans to make more. A short wire at the alternator was unavailable, but easy to make. The support shaft was unavailable, but also easy to make from threaded rod. I found it necessary to increase the idle speed because the engine will stall under sudden heavy electrical load. It is also necessary to warm the engine before applying heavy load. Overall the setup works great, but over $600 is a lot to pay for more electrical power.

Daniel
That's awesome Daniel. I was also unable to get that short wire or the connector for the oil pressure sensor. Is this necessary to "excite" the alternator. I'm very interested on how you wired it up. I didn't get any diagrams with the harness.

I've actually been waiting on you to hook yours up because it seems like you're a bit more knowledgeable than this old hack.
theghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #24
gemmechanic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The short wire is for excitation. You will need 3" of 12 AWG stranded wire and two 10-12 AWG ring crimp terminals for a 1/4" stud. Follow the diagram in the kit instruction manual. I don't see how to attach files here. I believe someone else already posted it here. I have no idea what you mean about the oil pressure sensor.

Daniel
gemmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #25
theghoul
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
The short wire is for excitation. You will need 3" of 12 AWG stranded wire and two 10-12 AWG ring crimp terminals for a 1/4" stud. Follow the diagram in the kit instruction manual. I don't see how to attach files here. I believe someone else already posted it here. I have no idea what you mean about the oil pressure sensor.

Daniel
Yeah, thats the problem. I didn't get the kit instruction manuals. I ordered the parts individually. I'd love a scan copy if you still have it.

I PM'd you my email address (hey, I can PM now).
Old 02-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #26
theghoul
Not Yet Wild

Quote:

Daniel
Who's awesome? You're awesome!

Thanks pal.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #27
SwampBox
Not Yet Wild

I have an ST 4x4 that is used by the Fd for a medical cart. I installed the HO alt a few years ago. The problem I am having now is it is putting out too much voltage. (15v) From what I can gather it used the regulator from the internal engine alt. Can anyone verify this for me? I unplugged the wires and hooked the internal alt back up and it was doing the same thing so I am leaning towards the voltage regulator. However Honda lists the vr as 20amp and the HO alt is 55 amp. Do not know if this makes a difference.

Mark
SwampBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #28
theghoul
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampBox View Post
I have an ST 4x4 that is used by the Fd for a medical cart. I installed the HO alt a few years ago. The problem I am having now is it is putting out too much voltage. (15v) From what I can gather it used the regulator from the internal engine alt. Can anyone verify this for me? I unplugged the wires and hooked the internal alt back up and it was doing the same thing so I am leaning towards the voltage regulator. However Honda lists the vr as 20amp and the HO alt is 55 amp. Do not know if this makes a difference.

Mark
Mine has the external regulator mounted on the chassis. I would look for this first.

Here is the part, but don't buy it from EZGO. Its too expensive. This is just for reference.

http://www.shopezgo.com/products/Voltage-Regulator.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg regulator.jpg (35.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #29
SwampBox
Not Yet Wild

WOW!!!! EZGO really likes there parts. I have found some for as little as 107.00. That is really a Honda part. They want 147.00. Will get one ordered in the next couple days. Thanks will let everyone know how it goes.

Mark
SwampBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO