lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #21
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Clutch Help - G1 Drive Clutch Spring

A stock G1 should spin the tires up a grass hill, with stock cart tires.

If you have the spring in the primary (on engine) then stretch it out longer as it may be so old it needs it. Or shim it more. The length will make it engage later.

A new belt will always creep because its so sticky. Run on some dusty areas for a bit. Make sure the belt is laying loose in the primary.

It will never work right without the stock size belt and the right distance between clutches. If the clutches are worn a lot they get dished in, that will affect shifting too. Its easier to put marker on the inside of them then drive around, then look at see where the belt wore it off to see if they shift all the way. You will not get the full gear range if they don't go all the way up and down.

Lack of engine power will also make it shift poorly. More power after you have a fresh bore and all is well: deck the head, advance the timing, port the exhaust a little, work the clutches...is all I did. It was fast enough to jump another G1 off a little 18" high jump and run over 30mph on stock cart tires. Little larger carb will give more top end but may give up bottom power. You can find a place that will port it a lot and even run a banshee pipe. Or you can get a bravo sled and put that 250cc and pipe in it for more power, the ignition can be adapted so it runs in reverse no problem. A good running G1 has more power/speed than any other stock cart I've ever seen, but I've not run a new Drive.

I like the cut secondary sheave, it gives a lower gear on takeoff. This is better for pulling and climbing as well as gets the rpm up faster on a quick takeoff.

1" wide on the stock belt is when you are supposed to throw them away, and sooner on lifted carts, for yamahas.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #22
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Thanks Sho! Sounds like you've tinkered with yours a bit. I'm getting more familiar with this cart with every day that passes. I think you are right with the primary spring. I shimmed it 1/8" with pvc pipe. Didn't seem to do anything. Maybe 1/4 or 3/8? I tried to stretch that spring, pretty tough. I couldn't hold on to it well enough. Any advice on how to stretch it?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:19 AM   #23
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

slonomo I know this is an old thread but I'm currently having the same issues with mine rolling forward on the starter and the belt not getting all the way up in the driven clutch for low gear. Did you ever figure out what your problem was? I'm making a spacer for the primary clutch spring as I'm typing this so I was wondering if I'm just wasting my time and its actually something else. Thanks in advance!
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha