lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
jackel440
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default G9 lift and tire question

Ok guys I have a somewhat simple question for ya'll.
I made and installed my own 4" lift kit on my cart last summer when I did my clone engine swap.I ran it last summer with the stock wheels and tires and I have to say I would like to get rid of the training wheel look.
Now here is what I would like to know.I want to know what size tire a 4" lift will allow?I know it might need to run an offset wheel but not sure.
If I need to buy new wheels I imagine it will be steel to save costs?
Now if anyone has a pic of thier cart with a 4" lift and tires I could see would be awesome.That way I could get an idea of what I might end up with
jackel440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: G9 lift and tire question

You'll need to go with 20's if you have a 4 inch lift. My avatar has 20's on the front and 22's on the rear. 4 inch lift in front and the rear has a 6 inch lift.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
TROUBADOUR
Gone Wild

Yamaha

This is a copy of one of my old posts -- June of 2010. Might be helpful to you. Pics of the result at http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...nter-ride.html
Brother-in-law was over and he just HAD to help (sigh). He trimmed the plastic rear inner fender liner with a razor knife - but got a bit too enthusiastic and also "trimmed" by gas tank! @$#(*U*!! Actually just a small slit which I repaired after a quick 6 mile drive to the nearest hardware store for some JB WELD. Also had to adjust a bit of the metal trim piece at the bottom of the body as it was just touching the rear tires on either side. Sawz-All made a quick job of it.
Today I hope to w2ork in the front end -- WAY too much toe-in (tires slant outward from top to bottom). I thin I can fix that by moving the front shock extensions down a bit to push to a-arms down about an inch or so. Also, the driver's side tire looks like it is back about an inch more than the passenger side - it just barely rubs at the back of the wheel well whereas the passenger side has just a bit of room. Am I missing some adjustment to correct that? Could I fix it using the steering arm adjustments?
TROUBADOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
G1-G9
LIFE IS TAKING FOREVER

Yamaha

This is my G9 with the cheap 4" lift and 22's on it. I moved my engine cradle back 3" so the back tires would fit and not rub. Im not done with the build. I just got my rear inner fenders on it and i have a few things left to put on it like the side pillars. When i get done with everything that i want to do with it i will take it back apart and paint it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC10269.JPG (57.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg SDC10270.JPG (49.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg SDC10272.JPG (54.9 KB, 22 views)
G1-G9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
G1-G9
LIFE IS TAKING FOREVER

Yamaha

Jackel i used the same predator engine that you did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC10228.JPG (55.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
TROUBADOUR
Gone Wild

Yamaha

My wheels have a slight offset to bring them out a little wider --- and to bring them out away from the steering linkage. I forgot to mention that and it is kind of important.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
jackel440
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Thanks guys for the great info and ideas.

G1-G9, I am all over how your cart is looking.I would like to end up with mine like yours.Can you give me the details on your wheels and tires?What size tires and brand are they?Are those 8 or 10" wheels?I saw that cart in the G9 club thread the other night and almost pm'd you about it.

I am loving the Predator engine in my cart.I would like to pull my down and repaint it in the future but I am probably not going to get to that till next year.

I like how you painted the clutch cover and starter red.I was going to do that but once I got it running i couldn't stop long enough to repaint anything
jackel440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You can make a 4" lift work, the key is you need to move the front a arms forward or tire hits the frame by the floor in there. The cheap lifts don't move them forward. Other than that you may have to cut some off the rear of the rocker, slit and tie back the inner well behind the rocker. I used 3+5 offset wheels most now are 3+7. The 3 would be center to inside and 7 would be center to outside. Stock is 3.5 both ways. Some of the alloy wheels are barely more than steel ones, up to you but if you keep the cart a while better looks will way more than pay back a few dollars more. The extra width makes the cart more stable something I would consider very important on trails/corners, and the bulging 22s will not rub. even now they are very close to rubbing with the 3+5 wheels....that is .5 inch more room on the inside and 1.5 inch more outside so the cart is 3" wider. The 8 wide wheels also spread the tires a little more these don't roll over at all. Another thing I would recommend is getting an ATV rated tire they are much more durable and resistant to punctures. If you ride sand or roads not as important I suppose, but they are a lot better tire. you do what you can with your budget, just saying if you can find a deal on the above it should be worth it. I rode a cart with a 5-6" lift and stock wheels, it was narrow, I thought it was dangerous. It had 20-22 tires on it don't recall exactly but think they were less than 10 wide. Mine are 22x11-8s. With an 8 you need a special wheel that is dished in back, I would likely get 10s today and you don't have to mess with that but these have worked great since '99 lol.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
TROUBADOUR
Gone Wild

Yamaha

My cart is about 3" wider than stock (at the tires) and just a little longer. Length-wise it barely fits into the bed of my '85 Toyota 4X4 with the gate closed - the cart's back bumper is JUST high enough to let the tailgate close. It rides over the wheel wells with a tire in front and in back on each side. As is it will just barely fit between the wheel wells of my '95 Dodge Ram 1500. That might also be a consideration when choosing tires/wheels.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
G1-G9
LIFE IS TAKING FOREVER

Yamaha

the cheap lifts i get move the front forward 2". with 22s on it turns just fine. I do have to say that one cheap lift i got and i still have because i took it off, didnt move it forward.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha