lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2023, 02:33 PM   #1
Pwood
Not Yet Wild

Default wiring a predator 420 in yamaha g8

I am in the process of replacing the engine on my 1991 Yamaha g8 with a Harbor Freight 420. I am going to order the adapter parts from Vegas Carts and the mechanical part seems pretty straight forward. What I am not sure about is using the original wiring. I know I will not need the Spark Igniter with the new engine but how do I hook up the pedal ignition and key, headlights etc? I admit I am not the best when it comes to wiring so all suggestions will be appreciated.
Pwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2023, 03:38 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: wiring a predator 420 in yamaha g8

The whole starter generator system remains as it was. The only thing the clone needs is the kill wire thru a separate switch to a ground OR a relay wired as Sho's sticky above shows. BUT it cannot be directly to the carts 12V because it will kill the coil.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 04:22 PM   #3
Pwood
Not Yet Wild

Ok I read the sticky and if I understand it shows a five pin and mine has a seven pin connector coming from the spark igniter? How is the clone connected to the original system? I know it’s probably a dumb question but I am electrically challenged.
Old 05-16-2023, 04:40 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

All the wiring to the S/G stays the same. Nothing is connected from the cart to the engine.Mark the wires running to the S/G when you pull it out.With the new bracket install the S/G with the wires as they were. The clone only need a fuel supply and a means to shut it off. The S/G starting and charging are untouched.Vegascarts has installation manuals on their site. You would use the Yamaha G2-14 guide for the 460. It is in the discontinued section.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 04:51 PM   #5
Pwood
Not Yet Wild

Ok thank you I will look up the guide.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps