lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
firecart1
Getting Wild

Default 89 not running....sometimes

Just replaced a Coil and a Module for a no start condition (that it had for years before the replacement). Fired right up and ran great!! Ran it 3 miles then parked it in the driveway. It sat for 1 hour and the wife wanted to use it. She put it in reverse and it backed up just fine. Then once she switched it to drive....No fire!! Turned over fine just no fire!! As I almost ran to the fridge and retrieved all the beer to lessen my worries, I went to the cart and asked her to be sure it was in forward gear. She switched the handle from F-R-F and it fired up. Not feeling confident ,she returned it to the garage. 3 hours later I went to check on it for myself. Fired up in reverse right off the bat! Then switched it to forward and no fire again!! What the heck is going on!?? Nothing after that!! No reverse or forward!! Anyone have a clue what is going on? Turns over with all intentions of starting but lets me down every time!! Help Please!! This isn't my idea of a fun Friday night!!

P.S. Not a fuel issue!!

5 hours later.....Just went out and it started and ran in both F and R. Didn't drive it but was amazed that it roared to life!! What is getting "Hot" and keeping the cart from running at times?!? A grounding issue?troubles in F-N-R switch?!? Did I mention I HATE electrical gremlins?!?
firecart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 not running....sometimes

If the engine always turns over when you depress the throttle then we can rule out the FNR switch, there is nothing in there that affects only the spark.

On the basis that you replaced stuff and now you have an intermittent connection I would look there first. It is known that the wires snap right on the crimp and the little rubber sleeve holds it together making it look like the connection is intact. So pull off the wires to the coil and give them a gentle tug to see if they fall apart. Do the same with the ignitor and the regulator.
If you are still having problems snap apart the connector between the pulsar and the ignitor. With an ohmmeter look across the pulsar for 75 - 150 ohms. Now measure from each wire to the engine chassis and wriggle the wire (yes I know that requires three hands so you made need to recruit the wife.) This will make sure that neither wire is shorting to ground, which is what brought my engine to its knees. Check for corrosion in the connector and snap it back together.
Let us know what happens

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
firecart1
Getting Wild

I've Ohmed the pulsar in the past and I've gotten readings from 155-170 ohms. I know it sounds a little high. But it's been there for the past year (I've been keeping my eye on it awaiting to replace it.). Recently just ohmed it at 167 the other day. From what I can come up with for specs is 75-200 ohms is spec. Feel free to correct me if this is incorrect. I replaced the coil and the module (HEI upgrade long ago) after they got burned up again (3rd time is the charm!!) This golf cart has had this intermittent stop and go problem for the past 3 years since I got it. If there is a wiring issue I will be happy to re-wire the entire motor (it's not that big of a motor!!).

Dave, I replaced the coil and module and I did check the wires in their crimp and I also put heat shrink around the wires for extra protection. They did not feel loose at the time...I WILL recheck later!!

Also, what you are telling me is the F-N-R circuit is ok? I'm assuming the starter/generator and neutral limit switch, accelerator limit switch and the ignition switch are not even involved with this scenario....Correct?!? Just trying to rule out wires that do NOT need to be checked.

Thanks Guys!!
Old 08-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
firecart1
Getting Wild

pickup coil (pulsar) 153 ohms today.....82 degrees outside and the darned thing is running!! Didn't touch anything!! (Besides checking for wires that are loose or coming out of the connections.)

Ohmed it right afterwards and it was 165 for the pulsar after 1.5 miles. Somebody point me in the right direction, Please!!
Old 08-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
firecart1
Getting Wild

Ran fine tonight also...I guess I should just forbid the wife from driving it.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #6
racin161
Gone Wild

YEA try that and let us know how that works out LOL

:l hmo:
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #7
firecart1
Getting Wild

She is ready to drive it into the lake!! Every time she touches it....it breaks!! I can drive it for 5 miles, get out of it, have her take the wheel, and the sum bitch will break!! I'm a grown man.....But I'm not above name calling!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO