lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: A bunch of total Newb Questions..

Wackman69,

Welcome to the forum. That is a very tidy cart that you have found. As Brew City states it is a 1976 model of the Robin 2PG engine and I would like to give you a word of warning. As you search for parts you are going to see that many parts are for 1980 - 1988 and this is because in 1980 Robin made many changes to the engine. The entire starter generator assembly was redesigned as was the crankshaft the regulator and the ignition (and yes you have the points based system as opposed to the electronic sensor). All of these parts are now obsolete and can no longer be found. I mention this not to rain on your parade but rather to make you aware that if you were to spend money on the cart you may subsequently find that the big end bearing is shot and it is now game over. On a more positive note the 2PG is a solid bullet proof engine so you may have several years left in it. Here is what I would do.
1. Grab hold of the clutch attached to the engine and try to lift the engine up. If you detect any movement of the crankshaft to the case you have either a worn crank or bearings. This would be a red flag.
2. Get a compression tester and check out the engine. 150 psi would be perfect but anything over 100 psi is going to work. Below 100 psi is another red flag.
3. That belt is clearly incorrect. wind it off and look at the secondary clutch. It looks like it is rusted up. If you can pull the plates apart by hand then you are good to go. If not then the clutch will need to be removed and opened up, however I have a feeling that the OEM clutch was not a user serviceable item. A new clutch is in the order of $200. Your belt is going to be 45 inches long and is available from site sponsors or EZGO. As Brew City says many folk fit a shorter belt which changes the gearing slightly. The DAYCO HP 3004 works well.

All that said if you think that the bones of the engine are sturdy enough to continue then I say go for it. There are lots of knowledgeable people here who will be more than willing to help.

Good luck

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
wackman69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Dave!! Just put in a parts order, so we shall see how it goes when everything gets here. I hope that I can get the reverse thing worked out...hope its something simple.
wackman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #13
wackman69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I know this question is posed often, but I came accross some manuals for the ezgo carts. Not sure if I saw one for the 76 or not. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Old 10-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #14
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Here is a link to the manual for the 76, enjoy

Dave

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...x440-gx444.pdf
Old 10-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
wackman69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

You rock Dave!! thanks a million!!
Old 10-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #16
racin161
Gone Wild

Think I'll butt out with DAVE and BREW helping You have the best follow the directions.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #17
wackman69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well, for a 76 she runs pretty darn good. Only one problem though, still can't get my reverse problem figured out. In forward the engine fires right up and is ready to go. When I put the cart in reverse however, the engine strains to even make one revolution. No where near enough gusto to make the engine run. Also I notice that my wires get quite hot if I leave it to strain in that position for very long. My guess is that its the reverse side of the starter generator. I read the directions in the service manual for removal of the armature and brush replacement. For one it says that two special tools are needed and it looks next to impossible to do without taking the engine out. So if it is a S/G problem, looks like I will be going without reverse. Kinda sucks, but I guess it will give me something to look forward to in my next cart Any input on what the issue could possibly be would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #18
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Lou, don't sell yourself short. You have come up with some great solutions so keep chipping in.

Wackman, here is a guess for you. After many years of standing around and spending most of its life with the switch in forward, you have now got corrosion on the reverse side of the switch. Corrosion equals resistance and resistance equals hot wires. So take the switch apart (it is easy) and touch up all the contacts with a emery board or similar then give the assembly a shot of WD40 and see what happens.

Dave
Old 10-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #19
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Double what Dave said ^^^^^

Also, for the record - the 2PG isn't very difficult at all for one man to remove (I've had mine out of my 88 multiple times and actually have it down to under an hour running to running) - what's even BETTER is the time-consuming part is removing the starter/generator and brackets which is a problem You don't have, LOL, maybe You should look at doing the brushes over the winter and just having some fun with it for now - not sure how the weather is up in Onalaska but here in Lake Geneva 'Ol Man Winter is getting pretty ready to rear his ugly head :)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #20
wackman69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yeah winter is just around the corner. I still think I would rather unbolt a starter generator from the top then have to take apart from the inside out lol. Either way I think it should be a challenge.

Tags
ezgo, gas, marathon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO