lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2012, 06:44 AM   #1
904polarized
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Another EzGo ST480 front lift question. Need help asap

So i searched the web as well as BGW and saw a couple threads about putting the leaf springs on top of the axle and then adding 2" blocks in the rear to adjust the springs down to clear the tie rod bar from rubbing.

Well...... I did those two things and my tie rod bar is rubbing/resting on the leaf springs. So bad that i can hardly turn the wheel to drive. I am installing my new rims/tires today and i need to get this issue fixed ASAP! Can anyone please guide me in the right direction?????

I have some serious offroading plans set for Saturday and Sunday and really need to resolve this. I will tell you this. I did the blocks first then swapped the leafs over the axle. After i tightened everything down, the axle appears to be "Rolled" forward a bit. To explain a little better.... My front hitch reciever is now at an up angle vs being horizontal with the ground.
904polarized is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
904polarized
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Another EzGo ST480 front lift question. Need help asap

Anyone????? I really need to get this resolved tonight if possible.
I did read about one forum member having the same issue and he "Rolled" his axle and got clearance. Anyone care to try and explain what "Rolling" the axle means?
Old 10-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Put the springs back under the axle then put spacers between the leaf springs and the body, that will keep the tie rods off the springs. You will get a little bump steer with the tie rods at their new angle, but not bad.
rvkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #4
904polarized
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvkersh View Post
Put the springs back under the axle then put spacers between the leaf springs and the body, that will keep the tie rods off the springs. You will get a little bump steer with the tie rods at their new angle, but not bad.
I did that and i got no lift. I actually put a 2" block and 1/2" spacer between the body and leaf and springs back under the axle.

I put my 25's on and they rub bad. I need to figure out how to get the front up that extra 2".

Anyone Else?????? Pleae help.

I see all these other 480's on here with the fronts lifted. Why wont mine work? Anyone in Northeast Florida willing to come help me out? I will by beer, food, whatever.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you put 2 1/2" between the the body and leaf springs and the tie rods are still rubbing, then your springs are shot. The springs should have a nice arch in them, they should not be flat. Are you carrying a front basket with weight in it, if so you may need heavy duty springs. that has a 4" lift factory, 2 1/2 more inches should clear those tires. Are you using offset wheels,if not the tires will rub. Just trying to help.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
904polarized
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvkersh View Post
If you put 2 1/2" between the the body and leaf springs and the tie rods are still rubbing, then your springs are shot. The springs should have a nice arch in them, they should not be flat. Are you carrying a front basket with weight in it, if so you may need heavy duty springs. that has a 4" lift factory, 2 1/2 more inches should clear those tires. Are you using offset wheels,if not the tires will rub. Just trying to help.

Its not rubbing (tierod/leaf) now that i put the leaf back under the axle, but i didnt get the lift i wanted like when the leaf was over the axle. I got the 2" lift with the leafs pver the axles. Now that i put them back under and even though i put the 2" blocks in the rear, its not lifting it.

The threads i have seen where guys lift the front of their 480's, they are putting the leafs over the axle and blocking the back and theirs are not rubbing. That is what i am trying to figure out is why mine rubs and theirs doesnt?????

The wheels do have an offset but still rub the fenders.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
stretchman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

put a bend upwards in the tie rod so you have clearance you will need to re-adjust tie rod ends and make sure there is enough threads left inside the rods. this pic is a one off axle I built that was much wider than your stock drop axle, so I had to cut and extend them with a tube so as to have enough thread going into the rods, you should not have to do that. Just make sure that you have like 3/4 in thread going into the rod
stretchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

If anyone has a set of ST front-springs laying around,I'd like to get some measurements off them.I can make them at work(Spring-Shop).Pm me,Thanks.Stretchman,I love the stance of your cart!
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:41 AM   #9
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

When you add the extra 2" you also need shock extenders or longer shocks. If you jacked the axle up to hook the shocks back up, they are bottomed out preventing the lift. That's whats causing the axle to tilt forward, the springs are under compression.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:39 AM   #10
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I agree,I tweaked the arch in my springs,and the shocks won't hook up.Either change the mount location or get extenders/different shocks.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO