lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
Carryall47456
Not Yet Wild

Default No Spark at the plug

I have a 2001 Club Car Turf2 Carryall with the FE350 engine. This has been a project over the last several weeks and my first adventure into carting. I believe I have it all back together...........but it won't start. The engine turns over and sounds good but it won't start. When I pull the plug I cannot see a visible spark. I also touched the end of the plug with my finger and no shock. Next I tried pulling the plug out of the wire to perform the old screwdriver test. That one worked, shocked me good! Bought a new plug, same result. The plug does "snap in" when you put the wire on it. I also tried putting a piece of aluminum foil over the end of the plug to tighten the connection, still no spark at the plug. I cleaned the pad on the flywheel and also cleaned the bottom of the coil. Does there have to be a certain amount of voltage from the coil to fire the sparkplug?? Any ideas out there? Thank you.
Carryall47456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: No Spark at the plug

sure your plug is the right one? and all grounds are clean and hooked up.
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
Carryall47456
Not Yet Wild

I didn't verify that the right plug was in the engine to begin with. I "***"umed it was the right one. I'll check that this evening with my crossover chart. Thanks for the idea.

I have thoroughly cleaned and bolts, connectors, and frame for all the grounds.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I believe NGK BPR5ES is correct or at least close and that the base of the plug must be touching the motor when starting to get a spark..
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
410MAN
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Not to butt in , I have the SAME problem, I can pull plug and insert screwdriver and touch to a ground and 95% off time it sparks so I put back on plug and it will start a few time then stop again so I do the screwwd driver thing again. Please excuse me for getting in your way I hope some one can answer this
410MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

It could be just a bad spark plug boot!
They're replaceable, and just screw on to the end of the coil wire.

https://www.eastcoastcarts.com/catal...Carts/6351.htm

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
Carryall47456
Not Yet Wild

Problem solved. The local gc parts store told me to unplug the brown wire on the RPM Limiter and see if the problem went away. He told me if that fixed the problem then the RPM Limiter was bad; if it didn't it was probably the coil. I unplugged the brown wire and I now have spark!!!! The basket case is now a driving cart. I took several victory laps around the property.

Now, what are the implications of driving the cart without a RPM Limiter. The governor seemed to keep the cart from over revving. Can I damage the motor by not replacing the bad RPM Limiter??
Old 04-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
410MAN
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Hello,
I finally had time to work on my art, I removed the ground wire that was on the Igniter (i hope it was the grnd wire, it was about 4 inch long and came out of the little black box on bottom of engine and it was hooked to a bolt that was holding the ingniter box on. When I removed the wire and put piece tape over it, well the cart starts now and runs. Can Anything bad happen wwith the wire off? I governer still keeps cart from runnin to fast. Thank ya
Old 04-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carryall47456 View Post
Now, what are the implications of driving the cart without a RPM Limiter. The governor seemed to keep the cart from over revving. Can I damage the motor by not replacing the bad RPM Limiter??
The implications of not having a rev limiter are pretty obvious, you could possibly over-rev the engine and blow it up. With the govenor still hooked up and still working you shouldn't really have any issue with over-reving the engine though. If at some point down the road you decide to disconnect the govenor I would get yourself a tach, I wouldn't want to run w/ no govenor and no limiter.
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
410MAN
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you for info. I may try to speed it up just little if i get nerve enough to try, Im not to much inclined to mech work. I often mess up more than I fix..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car