lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
golfcartnub78
Not Yet Wild

Default float needle sticking.

ok so I have what I believe to be an 85 ezgo marathon with the robin 244cc 2 cycle engine. the engine model is ec25ds from what I can make of it. The tag for the cart is under the glove compartment passenger side and it reads....[79E22].....and then the second set begins with either a T, or an I. which I believe is an I.....[I72485]. the darn thing runs better in reverse than it does in forward. which from what I have read is common. I started with fuel and made sure the pump was pumping, and I took the carb apart and cleaned it. I put it all back together and it still spits and sputters. I did notice the slower I get into the throttle the better it accels and runs pretty good until I let off of the gas to slow down. when I get back into the throttle and give it too much it spits and sputters, until I play with the choke for awhile and feather the peddle.

So I went to the electrical. I checked all connections and made sure all were good and cleaned those that were not. I replaced cracked wires, spark plug, spark plug wire, fuse holder and fuse. I then laid the plug on the block and I had a consistant pretty blue spark. I hooked it all back up and then it would do anything.

So I went back to the fuel/air. I pushed on the peddle and watched the fuel lines. OH, which btw I also replaced the fuel lines with clear line and installed a new fuel filter. But as I watched the fuel line coming out of the fuel pump, it wasn't moving past half way. so I thought the pump was out. which I was wrong, I removed the line from the carb and hit the peddle and here comes fuel. so I tried to blow into the carb inlet and it was plugged. I ordered and installed a rebuild kit for the carb. I removed the fuel tank, emptied, and cleaned it along with the rusted pick up tube. I hooked it all back up and tried to take off, and vvvvrrroooom there it went like a bat outta .......I let off the gas to make a turn and got back into the throttle and putt putt pfffttt...there it goes again. I checked the carb and the float needle was stuck again. not letting anything in or out. I tried adjusting the float tab to alow more fuel 2 x's. its almost flat now. so my question is how do I adjust the float, and do I need to remove the pump and clean it as well? I figure I do beings that I have already cleaned every other fuel related part. the problem is that I have never messed with one and not sure what im doing. I can always stumble my way through it like ive done with my life so far. lol any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks golfcartnub78

p.s. while you all take your time to read my novel. I am going to try to post pics of this terd and search the forum for my answer. which is how ive gotten by so far. which I want to thank you all for the great info you have provided me with and didn't even know it. so thanks!
golfcartnub78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
golfcartnub78
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: float needle sticking.

oh and btw I also took the muffler off and tried to barbecue it and shook it out. I put it back on and it was still acting funny. so I took it back off and turned it upside down and heard a clunk. so I thought something was loose inside it. I proceeded to dismantle the muffler, (unaware of what I was getting myself into) and I took the cover off and the 2 end caps to find a muffler inside a muffler. lol.....well come to find out, the clunk was the insulation in the end cap that had been saturated with fuel and oil and barbecued over and over again until it was a flat hard as a rock pancake. so needless to say, rewrapping the muffler with insulation and putting the cover back around it, was no easy task. but I prevailed. so if I did this correct here are pics of the golf cart model tag.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
golfcartnub78
Not Yet Wild

ok, well I think I know why it is sticking. but im not sure, because the valves are all brand new. and the fact I'm not a carb expert, but I took the carb back apart and I noticed the float was kinda twisted to one side. so I straightened that out. but now I need someones knowledge on carbs. when the float is on the carb and just hanging there, should it be at a 90 degree angle or should it be more or less??? right now I have it at a 90 degree and the tab is almost flat to allow the needle to drop. or should the float be lower and raise the tab a little? I think before I had the float too low not allowing much fuel into the bowl before the float shut off the needle. and the float was twisted a little and I think that was part of the problem with it getting hung up and not allowing the needle to come back down. I'm not sure, I'm usually pretty good at figuring things out. but I could use and experts opinion or someone that just knows what I need to do. please and thank you
Old 06-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
golfcartnub78
Not Yet Wild

20130618_195947.jpg

20130618_200041.jpg

20130618_200046.jpg

Last edited by golfcartnub78; 06-19-2013 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: pictures were upside down
Old 06-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
golfcartnub78
Not Yet Wild

not sure why they are upside down lol.....there I fixed it

Last edited by golfcartnub78; 06-19-2013 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: fixed error
Old 06-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
golfcartnub78
Not Yet Wild

gotta pull the engine and change crank seals. can anyone provide a manual or something with instructions on removing the engine and replacing the seals? pleast

also if anyone has a minute to look at my serial number tag and let me know if i am right on believing this is an 85 marathon. i can post pics of the cart if needed. thanks for any and all help.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
rfquiggle
Not Yet Wild

looks to be an 85 to me
rfquiggle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carburetor, float needle, fuel, fuel pump
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO